Friday, June 29, 2007

That Box in the Living Room

Is it me or has TV become extremely boring?

I remember only a few years ago, there were several shows I used to watch regularly and now I don't watch anything. There's just nothing good on. It's all the same - cops, doctors, over-dramatised stories. There's nothing genuine, intriguing, sincere... original.

Television in POB was quite different. I'm not going to say it was full of great shows but it didn't follow the same stale format every week. They don't stretch out shows over weeks, they show all episodes daily with a visible end in sight. They also don't just limit their repertoire to one language. I switched on one night and there was a concert in a different language. And it was excellent! Not some wannabe singers but professional ones with education and real talent that they've mastered over the years. And it was so majestic - the stage, the lighting.

The truth is that if they showed something like that here in prime time, no one would watch it. Does that mean that the people here just want the same bland entertainment that doesn't offer much for the brain?

I wonder if people assume that intellectual entertainment is unenjoyable. To me, it's completely the opposite. It's so much more interesting to have your mind opened to something better than the average.

I know most of you probably won't understand what I'm saying because you've grown up in a society where this sort of weekly entertainment is all that you know. Oh well. My blog is for my ramblings.

Basically, I'm annoyed that I can't finish watching a TV show that I started watching there.

No comments: