Thursday, December 25, 2003

Merry Christmas

I prefer not to open presents. It's more enjoyable to look at the pretty wrapping, wonder about the shape of the object, feel the texture, assess the size and pretend that it's the most wonderful gift in the world.

Once you open it, all the excitement disappears. Behind the beatiful paper, there's usually some pointless gift that you don't want or need.

That's what usually happens in my case. Yeah yeah, I know it's the thought that counts but the more thought (and money) a person put into a bad gift, the guiltier I feel about not liking it.

The best gifts are usually the ones that are no surprise. For example, I love the gift voucher I got from April, Amelia and Emma so I can buy a handbag that I like. I asked for this present and I got it. So there was no surprise element.

Christine's and Claudia's gift was actually offensive and I would be embarrassed to give to anyone. Apart from the puzzle (which is fine), they gave me a travel guide (which is fine) from 2000!!! They are not even sold in the shops anymore! They probably got it at some book sale. What am I supposed to do with it?! Christine probably got it since she has no sense of anything. Claudia (who is like her best friend) got a present from her that is for her medical condition (can't say what it is here). It's just cruel to point out someone's medical problems on Christmas! So if she didn't have it, Christine wouldn't give her that present. It's like buying a wig for someone who went through chemotherapy. That's just not cool.

I'm getting so tired of her lately. Yesterday, April reminded me how at the sleepover she was telling her boyfriend how bored she was right in front of us. Does she not have any sense in her?

I never noticed her rudeness before.

Andrew gave me the sweetest present, as usual. I asked him for organiser refills but he misunderstood and got me another organiser. It's huge and I don't need it but it's from Andrew so I love it just cos it's from him. I also told him that he can just get me $10 and that would be perfectly fine. So aside from the organiser, he gave me $20 and he said that $10 was for my library fines!!! Can I have a sweeter brother?! I don't think so! No one has a better brother than me.

My parents got me a very expensive backpack that I could take to US next year but they said it was also for uni cos my other bag is ripping at the seams. I wish they didn't give me such an expensive one. I don't want to attract attention with it. They meant well of course and I love them for that but if it wasn't so expensive, I wouldn't feel as guilty for not wanting to wear it to uni.

Now everyone left to go to a BBQ with my other relatives. I didn't go because I'd just end up baby-sitting my hyperactive 5 year old cousin. I'm having a nice time relaxing at home. And it's not as hot inside.

Some couple that my Mum met through work is coming from another city to stay with us for a few days. I'm just glad I won't be home for that. I'll be working.

Well, that's my Christmas for this year. Not very exciting. I hope yours is more fun!

No comments: