Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Train Tale #2

I don't know what it is about long train journeys but that's always the time when my imagination goes into an overactive mode.

I was going home and as soon as I sat down, a guy sitting diagonnally in front of me caught my eye. Well, actually it was his textbook. Then his backpack. And only after that, I looked at him. 'Hmm, cute guy,' I thought. 'Hmm, a cute guy reading a textbook.' A cute guy reading a textbook on the train. Now, that I could relate to.

Cute guy has cool jeans. Hmm, smart and has good taste (which really just means: has my taste, but that's beside the point). Cute guy has a hairstyle that the Fab Five from Queer Eye would recommend. Cute guy is gay? No, I refuse to think that. Cute guy watches Queer Eye, and takes notes?! No, I refuse to believe that also.

The cute guy takes his eyes off his textbook and looks at my direction.

The cute guy takes his eyes off his textbook and looks at the window on my side of the train. Then looks back at his textbook.

I brush the hair out of my face. The cute guy brushes his hair off his face. Coincidence? I think not!

I look at my watch. He looks at his. This is fate. We're meant to be together.

The cute guy almost turns his head to look at me.

The cute guy turns to look at me and our eyes meet. "Were you staring at me?" asks the cute guy. "No!" I reply defensively. The cute guy looks embarrassed at making such an uncalled for accusation. "I'm sorry. That was stupid of me." The cute guy is about to turn away when I say, "No, that's ok. I was looking out of the window on your side so it's understandable that you thought I was looking at you." The cute guy smiles his very cute smile and turns back to his precious textbook.

This is not fair, I think, in a movie or TV show, the cute guy and I would be a couple in the very near future and this would be the perfect meeting. So coincidental and so arranged at the same time.

While I ponder on the reality of the situation (i.e. he's a complete stranger), the train comes towards my station and I get up. The cute guy gets up at exactly the same time and we accidentally bump into each other. Our eyes meet again and we both know that this is meant to be. We live happily ever after.


The cute guy gets up (a few stations before mine) and that's when I see them. His mauve striped briefs are sticking out of his jeans. That's one thing I really didn't need to see. I'm sorry but I cannot have a relationship with a guy who wears his jeans below the waist. Way below.

Let's just say I'm glad our perfect meeting happened in my head.

No comments: