Sunday, February 04, 2007

About Dreams

"You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it."

Watched Pursuit of Happyness yesterday and the above quote really got me thinking.

Ever since I can remember I always had the same dream. (You know, show business). My parents knew it but they always told me that my dream was not practical. Since I was highly influenced by my parents and very sensible, deep down I was too scared to take any risks to make my dream a reality.

Yes I've tried (probably not hard enough) and the result of my dream not coming to fruition was proof to me that my dream was unreachable. It was just not realistic.

Another major obstacle for me is thinking I'm not good enough. You see all these people who are so sure of themselves when they don't even realise they're nowhere near who they think they are. I never want to be one of those people. I want to be realistic about my abilities. Maybe my realism stops me from doing things. I wish I could think "Just cause other people can't do it, doesn't mean I can't either".

You can think I'm just full of excuses for my lack of motivation and persistence. You might even be right. Of course I want things to come easier. Maybe it gets to a point where you have to decide how much you really want your dream because if you really really want it, you would do anything. Maybe I just don't want it hard enough.

Last week I decided to live by a new rule - "Never say no to anything" (please no smart-arse comments about this). Life is too short, I'm going to take up every single opportunity. You never know where it might lead me. If I can't work in movies, I will make my life a movie.

1 comment:

toey said...

I've thought about that quote as well, and it's true though that some people will discourage you from doing something just because they can't do it themselves.