Thursday, April 12, 2007

Beautiful

Today I discovered the world of beauty salons.

Only a few years ago, a beauty salon was a foreign place to me. I knew they were around but they were not something that particularly interested me.

However, lately they have passed my ears more than once and caught my attention (especially because of the wedding).

To motivate me even more, I received enough birthday money to treat myself to a facial.

I organised an appointment for this afternoon and went in with a little bit of trepidation at facing the unknown.

Firstly, I filled out a form enquiring about the most personal details (such as whether I was about to have my period and if I blushed easily). Then, a young woman (with not very inspiring skin) looked at my face through some special machine and told me that I had sun damage, oily skin, dehydrated eyes which showed sign of premature ageing.

While I took all that information, feeling quite deflated, she told me that she recommended a 'booster' treatment (only an extra $30, on top of the $79 and $49). I decided that I might as well do it to see if I could get optimal results.

After the inital stage, I was taken into a small room, given a towel with velcro on top and told to change into the 'robe'. When she walked out, I looked at the rectangular material and wondered how anyone could refer to it as a robe. I tied it around my neck to avoid any spillage on my clothes. When she came back, she looked at me strangely and explained that I was supposed take off my shirt and tie the 'robe' under my arms so she could give me a 'decolletage massage', something that I didn't remember as being included in the package.

Not wanting to seem prudish, I did as I was told. There, I had no issues. I lied on the bed and for the next hour, I had many slimy substances rubbed all over my face. The consultant also made sure to drop in, quite early into the session, that I needed to have this done every month for best results. I hoped that was not going to be the excuse for a bad first outcome.

I was also given an eye mask (something I really hoped would improve dark circles under my eyes and fine lines).

After everything was done, I was shown some products to buy. I refused all of them because I didn't want to spend another $130.

I looked at myself in the mirror and my face looked quite difference. Very smooth and shiny.

When David saw me and I asked what he thought, he said he liked my original face better. I was like, "What???? Why???" I told him it was much softer now. He had to agree.

I looked into the mirror again and rather than noticing what I saw before, it looked like my skin was porcelain - glowing a bit like plastic. I actually thought it made me look older.

When I got home and asked for Mum's opinion, she said it looked much clearer. I wasn't convinced.

I think today I noticed that my face looked older. There's almost nothing left of childish features. Oh well, guess I will have to accept this stuff now. At least I found my guy which is more than anything I ever wanted. The thought of David always cheers me up.

Exactly two years ago, I met David. That twist of fate, coincidence, luck or whatever else you want to call it, changed my life forever. Where would I have been if that day never happened? I think nowhere, only more depressed. David thinks I would've went travelling. Who knows.

I asked David if I changed since we've met. He said I dress less conservatively now and am much happier, but just as beautiful. He obviously hasn't changed, sweet talking as ever.

3 comments:

toey said...

That was a very reflective post Sky- I must admit, as a guy, I enjoyed reading it and it's made me think.

Sky said...

What did it make you think about? Growing old or getting a facial? :P

toey said...

Both =)