Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hairy Problem

It weighed on my mind for a while now (i.e. several years) and the upcoming wedding was the push that I needed to get the permanent hair reduction treatment. I have pretty much tried all the methods to remove my thick hair but they have all lead me to even more frustration.

Shaving = harsh stubble in less than a day
Waxing = couldn't do it properly at home since I just don't have the ability to cause myself pain, salon treatments are expensive
Creams = an imaginary treatment. Whoever said it worked?
Epilating = hours wasted, red bumps for at least a day

Laser hair removal was out of the question as it doesn't sound anywhere near safe.

The only option left was the new IPL/SPL treatment going around. The major obstacle that prevented me was the price. At several hundred per session for legs and at least 6 treatments, that adds up to an equivalent of an overseas trip.

Then, the thought of never having to worry whether people would see the tiny black dots on my legs if I wore a skirt for the whole day or being able to go swimming in summer at the spur of the moment... I just couldn't resist that bright future any longer.

Ashley (from uni) was telling us recently how she had her armpits done and how happy she was with the result. There's nothing like hearing a personal experience to encourage me even more.

David tried to talk me out of it, said he didn't care. I told him I wasn't doing it for him. I wanted to do it for me. I explained how extremely inconvenient this whole thing was and that doing it would make that part of my life a whole lot easier. I think he was just worried that it was dangerous.

Last Saturday I had it done. And it hurt a lot more than "almost painless" that they advertised.

The woman said the hair is supposed to fall out in two weeks. I'm not sure if I'm imagining but I see a reduction already. I'm not expecting to be 100% hairfree after all this but I really hope that it will make a significant difference.

Women who don't have this problem are just so lucky. My Mum is one of them. Of course I had to take my Dad's hairy genes. Oh well, c'est la vie. I hope David and my kids take my Mum's genes, otherwise, poor kids (if they're girls).

Hopefully by the end of the year, I can go on my honeymoon without worrying about body hair.

No comments: