Wednesday, May 30, 2007

But then...

You know that movie scene where the two main characters are about to kiss and the atmosphere is all charged, their lips come close... but then the phone rings? They hold still, almost thinking that the phone will stop and the scene can continue but the phone keeps ringing for so long that any built-up tension disappears.

And the audience thinks, "Typical".

Well, when David and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary on the weekend and we were in the middle of a very similar moment, my mobile rang. Since it wouldn't stop, I reached for it and saw that it was Christine. I decided not to pick up. Didn't want to give any explanations on what I was doing and decline any invitations to meet them.

Today, I called Christine and explained that I didn't hear my phone and when I realised, it was too late to call back. Surprisingly she didn't believe a word of it and said, "It's ok, we thought you didn't want to be interrupted" with a knowing smile in her voice.

I was a bit embarrassed because it was true. I guess she had many similar moments with Evan.

Makes you realise cliches aren't only in movies; they densely populate real life too.

No comments: