Sunday, May 06, 2007

White and Off-white

What's more difficult than buying a wedding dress?

Buying wedding shoes.

I never expected that buying silver shoes (since proper wedding ones are way too expensive) with a comfortable heel would be such a problem. April, Ella and I looked in every shoe store in the city and came up with nothing. There wasn't even anything worth trying on. Firstly, there weren't even that many silver shoes and secondly, all of the ones that were there had a stiletto heel reminiscent of a knitting needle. I don't know how people manage to stand in them, let alone walk.

One shop I went to had ivory shoes. I asked the sales assistant whether they had them in white. The snobby girl looked at me like I was crazy and said, "They are white!" She obviously never shopped for wedding clothes before! It's like wearing a white dress with an ivory veil - the veil would look like it's dirty next to the dress. I told my Mum and she thought that no one would notice if the shoes were white or ivory. I guess she had a point.

I was encouraged by several people to wear flats since noone would see them under the dress anyway but I don't want to be short at my wedding.

While we were looking for my shoes, we also had a look for boots (something you might remember I've been looking for a very long time). I told April that I've been looking for boots before I even met David which would mean that finding the boots I wanted was even harder than finding a husband.

6 comments:

Amie said...

I have a question! this weekend I was away with friends and the topic of engagement rings came up. a guy asked us girls how much was expected by us to be spend on our engagement rings. one girl immediately said 3 month's salary and the others agreed. I nearly fainted, i'd never heard any such thing! what do you think of that!?

Sky said...

I think that's crazy! (Although that would depend on the salary).

Some of my uni friends expect $30K diamond rings and they are not kidding.

I couldn't care less how much the ring was. I would've been happy with a couple of hundred (although apparently those are hard to come by).

David got mine on sale (although he still won't tell me how much) but I would guess it still cost him a few thousand.

I think it's too much for a ring but then again it's for the rest of my life and I'm glad that it looks so beautiful. And it makes me happy that David made such a sacrifice to get it for me.

Anonymous said...

I've heard the 3 month salary rule before, but I think that's a bit old school.

$30K is WAY too much though!

But could you imagine rejecting your guy when he proposed cos the ring was "too cheap"!? I couldn't!!
kath

Sky said...

Hahaha - "No, I won't marry you - the ring's not expensive enough"

Our culture is exploiting the whole point of engagements and weddings.

Amie said...

I too find it a ridiculous concept! To be honest, the cost of a ring had never entered my mind before until this conversation. I think 3 months salary (whatever that may be) is a horrendous waste of money, esp when you're about to start a life together!!! I think it's about the love, commitment and attraction. Of course the couple should like the ring (more so the bride to be as she has to wear it) but there's more to it than that!!

toey said...

Geez, if only all girls could be more like Amie and Sky. It seems that money has corrupted us to the point where we value the ring more than what the concept actually means.

And no, I'm not just saying this because I'm a cheapskate =)