Monday, January 08, 2007

Where the Heart Is

The more I watch my POBian show the more I miss POB. I guess not the country so much but the people. And not even the people, but the way they are, the humour. Especially the humour. I can always relate to POBian humour. Even when my parents' friends come over or their kids, they are always so funny.

I guess many Australian won't understand it just because Australian humour is SO different. For example, if I listen to Australian comedians on TV or radio, I just get bored and annoyed with them. Not because I don't understand the joke, but because I just think it's stupid. It's not subtle, it's usually mocking and sarcastic.

Of course I'm not saying that I don't find any of that funny, just not as funny as POBian jokes.

You'd think that since I lived here since I was a kid I'd relate more, but for some reason I just don't. I don't know if other people who moved countries when they were kids feel the way I do. Like not fitting in completely. I usually don't think about it much but the POBian show made me remember.

David and I were talking about it and he feels the same. Although he has more reason to feel that way since he only moved here after he already had a life there. Who knows, maybe that's why we get along. We both don't feel 100% Australian even though I call this country my home and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

None of my friends are 'true' Australians (i.e. people who's families have been here for generations). Most of my friends weren't even born here.

Some people could say that since most people here are immigrants, we're all Australians. Somehow I don't believe that because the only people I associate as being true Australians are the types who live on Home and Away and Neighbours. Their personalities are just too different to mine.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post because I don't mean to generalise but it's hard to understand where I'm coming from unless you're in a similar situation.

My inner longing for POB just won't go away.

3 comments:

toey said...

Maybe for those who grew up in Australia it depends on who they spent their childhood years with.

For example, those who spent more time with their traditional families may have closer 'roots' to their background, whereas those who spend more time with their 'Australian friends' will feel more easily accepted into the Australian culture.

Just a theory.

Unknown said...

I tell my husband quit frequently just how glad I am that he's not from US. Even amidst our incredible cultural differences, there's a subtle sense of "us against them" (mostly as an expression of not taking things for granted, since we're both from underdeveloped countries) that makes us really close, and I just love it.

Anonymous said...

I think I know what you mean,Sky. My ex-host family were English who usually watch British TV show on ABC and don't watch any American sitcoms. I think Australia is very young country rather than other countries and even if they are from English speaking countries, they don't get why it is interesting and have different humours. And I still can't see clear picture of Australian. I spent 5 years there but I haven't met real Australian.