Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dreaming of a Life a Little Bit Extraordinary

As I'm growing older, my creativity has slowly disappeared into some deep dark hole and I'm worried I will never get it back.

Maybe it's because my life has gotten busy and exciting, leaving no need for my brain to come up with anything imaginative.

I used to write so much before. Stories just filled my head. Now it's an empty sponge which just absorbs reality.

If you've read my blog from the beginning, you might remember how I used to write scripts with April. It could be due to my lack of writing companion that I can't get out of this frustrating writer's block.

I've been really wanting to enter an annual play-writing competition which is open to anyone. It's not even a film competition where you need equipment. All that's required here is a computer and your brain.

I have come up with general ideas but can't move on to the actual details. Like, the plot. Yeah, a bit of a problem, I know. Being the critic that I am, my other obstacle is that I put down any idea that I come up with, not letting it flourish into something that could possibly be great. I have no faith in my ideas. But realistically, that's because they are just not that good.

Why do I even care about entering this competition? I can't think of a better reason but for the simple fact that I want to do something a little out of the ordinary. A little bit extraordinary.

Sadly I have realised that I'm just your average dreamer who can't finish any challenging project but can only imagine what life would be like if I had.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

>Sadly I have realised that I'm >just your average dreamer who >can't finish any challenging >project.

It's not sad. I mean every young person is dreamer and you're still challenging and keep blogging.

Amie said...

Sky I know this won't make you feel any better but I know where you're coming from and think I understand how you feel. Like you I have always had a creative side (in school that came out in acting and in my writing)... since finishing high school i discovered jewelery design. However, these days I lack the time, motivation and ability to either put pen to paper and pick up some beads to create - and I feel as if I'm missing out on something! or perhaps even the rest of the world is missing out on something that I could potentially create but for whatever reason can't bring myself to do!

toey said...

Sometimes the best ideas come from our subconscious mind when we're concentrating on something else.

And when that arrives, I'd say give it a go. As my barrister would say, "the most they can say is no".

Sky said...

That's an interesting thought, Toey.

For anyone who's interested, I no longer can post anything as there's some bug on my posting page.