Thursday, July 19, 2007

Facebook Fairytale

Facebook and MySpace were made for satisfying my stalkery tendencies.

First thing I did when I joined (pressured by April) was look up everyone I knew throughout my life. My personality already has an insatiable curiosity to know about everyone's private lives but to be able to do so from the comfort of my own home and the privacy of my anonymity, it's just too good to be true!

I have been a member for quite a bit now and have found out all the not so exciting details of people I know and used to know. The novelty has worn off.

Until a few days ago when I looked up the page of a girl from my high school and was intrigued by her life. She was always a bit of a bohemian type, had the type of non-standard beauty I always dreamed of (i.e gorgeous thick curly hair and a smile that said, "I know something you don't"). Pretty much a fictional character type.

I knew her parents were divorced and she had a mixed family. Turns out now she's married and lives overseas. She met the guy when she went back to her home country and now they live in his home country. Apparently they've travelled together for quite a while and now have settled down.

She posted pictures of them. Maybe it was the photos that got my interest (like glimpses into the lives of two beautiful people). Maybe it was her honest and deep style of writing, maybe it was her humour, maybe it was the cute notes her husband left on her site but to me they were like a fictional story played out in real life.

I was disappointed to also find out that they take drugs. I told April and she said, "Honestly Sky, that doesn't even surprise me". I don't know why I'm always taken aback when I find out someone who seems intelligent and 'normal' does something as stupid as that.

1 comment:

Amie said...

aint' facebook great! have tracked down and been tracked down by some great long lost friends on there