Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Job Opportunity

As you know, I love my current job. You probably also know that even though I've been working at this job for over a year, it is not a permanent position. My contract has been extended many times and just before every one of those times I got very anxious and worried about it.

Since I've been working in the goverment for over a year, I am now allowed to apply for other internal government positions (and most of them are internal). So a few weeks ago, I decided to browse the job site and was very surprised to see an ad for the exact same position I'm doing now at another location.

Of course I applied. I didn't expect anything as sometimes the advertised positions are not really 'real', i.e. there might already be someone for the position but they just have to pretend to be fair by going through all the correct processes.

Today I got a call inviting me to the interview. I was so happy but nervous. Not nervous about the interview but nervous that I might not be working where I am now. What are the chances that the environment at the other place will be as wonderful as it is here?

I have to keep reminding myself that I need a permanent position, especially with a forthcoming mortgage and the possibility of having to take maternity leave in the next few years.

Who knows what possibilities there are at my current job. I could have my contract extended for many more months. The position could also be open and I could get to do it permanently. The big problem is that I have no guarantees now and this chance for a permanent position in my field and with the same salary and conditions is unlikely to come too often.

I might not even get it.

No comments: