Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bridal Dress Shopping

April and I have been looking forward to today longer than I've known my fiance. Shopping for your bridal gown is not something you can do anytime.

It was quite surreal walking into a large bridal store in the City, bustling with brides and their mothers/sisters/friends. I was a bit numb because I had my goal of finding the dress I imagined for myself. April, on the other hand was almost hyperventilating with excitement.

We felt like we weren't really supposed to be there.

We went to the sale section and I told April to look through one side while I searched through the other. I described what I wanted - not strapless, not too huge at the bottom, clear white etc. Since 99% of them were strapless, we went through the hangers quite quickly. Finally when I found one I wanted to try on, I came up to one lady and asked her for an available change room.

The lady looked at me strangely and asked, "Do you have an assistant?" I looked at her blankly. Then she asked, "Do you have an appointment?"

An appointment! I couldn't believe you had to make one to try on a dress! I came up to the counter to add my name to their waiting list. The saleswoman said to come back in one and a half hours!

April and I decided to see the other stores. I added my name to another store's waiting list too.

After walking around the City discussing bridesmaid dresses and other wedding details, we came back to our first appointment.

A middle-aged lady introduced herself and helped me pick some dresses (including strapless 'cause she said straps could be added later).

She also gave me some skirt to put on under the dress. Then she told me to get undressed and she'd come and help me put on the dresses. I didn't like that one bit 'cause I didn't want some stranger seeing me in my underwear and some transparent skirt.

When she came in, she told me to stand backwards to her so she could put on the dress. I guess that wasn't too bad since she could only see me from the back. As the dress fell around me, I was very surprised how heavy it was! I also realised that since the bodice was tied up at the back, it provided enough support not to need the straps.

I was a bit worried to walk out to see myself in the mirror since I didn't want to look bad in front of all the other people eager to see the brides in the gowns.

When I walked out and saw April's face of awe, I looked in the mirror and realised that I didn't have to worry. The dress made me look beautiful.

The assistant got me to walk onto a podium in front of the large mirror. I didn't notice ealier how long the train was (no wonder it was so heavy). I couldn't believe how I looked in a wedding dress. Like the whole thing was a dream. The wide grin on April's face only added to my happiness.

The next dress I tried on was just as wonderful. The only problem was that it was even heavier than the first and a little tight (not that anyone would notice since it looked like it fitted well). I wasn't ready to compromise my comfort for beauty. I mean, I wouldn't even be able to dance in it! That was just not an option.

The big bonus was that they were all around $1000 (which as it turns out is quite good). The sale items were available off the rack, unlike the others which had to be ordered 6 months ahead!

April got offended when the lady told us that the dresses on the other side were out of my range. April said she had no right to assume how much money we had. She said it reminded her of the scene in Pretty Woman.

The next store was not as successful. Even though the dresses were lighter and more comfortable they just didn't sit as well.

We left the shops with a feeling of exhiliration. April said all the stores were just like in the movies, with the waiting areas, dress portfolios sprawled on coffee tables and ordinary women coming out of the change rooms as princesses.

I can't wait to go on and try on some more!

No comments: