Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Magic Wedding

Weddings are so expensive, it's not fair!

The more I look at wedding websites and magazines, the more pressured I get about having the 'perfect' wedding. It really gets to you when they all emphasize that you only do it once which makes me wonder if I'd regret just putting a basic one together.

I mean, a freaking videographer costs at least $1500! That's ridiculous. That could be a fortnightly salary.

Cakes cost several hundred dollars.

Venue prices are just crazy.

And of course I would like a nice honeymoon but I can forget about saving money there.

Also, the wedding night would be nice to spend in a luxurious room but doubt that will be happening.

My budget of $5000 for the whole wedding is starting to seem very unrealistic. The dress alone is $1000 (in the low range).

We don't even want many people (about 70) but at $85 per head that's thousands of dollars just for the reception.

I really thought it'd be possible to get $50 per head but that was just a nice dream that came crashing down after days of research.

Since I won't have my 'perfect' wedding or anything even close, I will describe it here for you, more to feed my hungry imagination than to let you know what it could be like.

The ceremony is in a beautiful luscious green garden, almost like the middle of a magical forest. The bride (i.e. me) is in a flowing dress with sheer layered fabric uneven at the hem, with little crystals sprinkled on the bodice like rainwater drops.

Once the legal formalities are sealed with a passionate kiss, the party moves into a magical place where everything else is forgotten. There's a warm glow all around the room. The ceiling is adorned with sheer white fabric and fairy light giving the place a sense of enchantment. The tables are covered with all sorts of berries and flowers. Dinner is a magical feast. A little later, a band starts playing a mix of POBian, Latin and English music. The whole dancefloor is full with enormous amounts of fun. Everyone is merry and jolly.

The cake is not only beautiful, it is scrumptious - choclate with raspberries throughout and ganache.

The bride and groom leave the party to spend the night in a cosy room with a spa and edible delights.

Next day they leave for a 2 week honeymoon where they enjoy their first weeks as husband and wife before they go back to their new home and enjoy the rest of their lives together.

Sounds nice? Well, the cost of my dream wedding is making me look forward to when David and I actually move in together and start our new lives together.

No comments: