Friday, March 09, 2007

The Bridesmaids Dilemma

I'm having a problem. I don't know what to do about bridesmaids. It's like having to choose your favourite friends.

I'm fine with ranking my friends in my head but not too comfortable sharing this information with everyone.

If I could have my way, I would pick April, Amelia (I've forgiven her, will tell you later) and Claudia. There is no way I want to have Christine. I only hang out with her because she's part of the group. But how can I have all the others and leave her out? That would be so mean.

Then, I think, it's my wedding, why should I do things just to please everyone else when these people would be quite selfish in other circumstances?

First I decided I would just have April. Everyone knows I'm the closest with her. Not that they wouldn't get upset but at least they wouldn't be left out alone. I also considered having Nadine as well since we were very close and no matter how much we don't talk sometimes, we always keep in touch.

But I'm still not too happy with that scenario, it just doesn't feel right.

So today I came up with an idea. Since I'm not having a conventional wedding, there is no real need for bridesmaids. I will just tell everyone that to fit into my theme of 'enchantment' and 'magic', they can all be my 'fairies' so they get to choose their own outfit to suit the theme but in reality there will be no distinction between them and the rest of the guests. What do you think?

For some reason, I don't think they will understand and might think I've gone a little crazy, making them dress up as modern fairies. (Personally, I would have fun with that if I were in their shoes.)

Any other suggestions?

No comments: