Friday, January 02, 2004

New Year With Two Sisters

Yesterday, some family friends came over. One of them was Jen (16) and her sister Alyson (19). Their parents are relatively new friends of my parents so I only met Alyson once (two years ago, I think) and Jen twice. She came over with her parents a while ago.

I never particularly liked Alyson. She's like a caricature. All evening she was looking at her reflection in the TV and playing with her hair and saying how we should go to a theme park because she already knows what she's going to wear. But she won't go on water rides because she's going to wear jeans (and no she doesn't have any shorts or casual pants that are not denim) and her make-up will be ruined. And don't forget her hair. I couldn't believe she was not joking. Then she kept bitching about one of her high school friends. I had to ask her why she was friends with a person she couldn't stand and she said, "Don't get me wrong, I love her to death. I just can't stand to see her more than twice a year". That's just the type of person that she is.

Jen, her sister is completely down-to earth. She is totally the type of person I'd be friends with. Very friendly and with a sense of humour. The first hour, Alyson didn't even say a word while I was chatting with Jen. I guess she was too busy practising different ways of batting her eyelashes and planning her hairstyle for the next outing. After that, she started to join in. My brother was there too. I actually had a really good time, chatting with everyone. Alyson suggested for all of us to go out somewhere and bring some friends. I just thought how wierd would it be to combine my friends with my brother's. We never go out together. It's weird but I think of Jen who's younger than my brother as more my age than my brother and his friends. Probably cause she's a girl and because I haven't really changed since I was 16.

Although Jen and Alyson are so different, you can tell they get on really well. Alyson told me that she got Jen a present that said, "Sisters by chance. Friends by choice". I thought that was THE SWEETEST thing!

No comments: