Friday, January 02, 2004

World Idol: And the Winner Is...

I taped the live World Idol show and just finished watching it. The whole voting thing was just like Eurovision but I didn't agree with lots of people's choices. Yes, I think Kurt deserved to win but the others were just not in the order that I would've liked them to be in. But then again, I didn't vote.

I was a bit disappointed that Guy wasn't one of people's favourites but that's because I start feeling patriotic, not because I'm a big fan of Guy, even though I tried to like him. I really did. I thought the guy from Canada had a nice voice but he sang a bad song and also we have to understand that the majority of people who vote don't exactly have a musical education and just vote on whoever they enjoyed watching, rather than who has a good voice. That's fine, I guess, because there are lots of singers who sell records not because they are extremely talented but because they have something that people are attracted to, either their image, the way they act or the type of songs they sing.

I made my Dad watch the tape of World Idol so I can hear his opinion because he understands music and because he has very specific taste (that I don't necessarily agree with but respect anyway). Without knowing that World Idol is a competition for people who were not professional singers before the national shows, he straight away said that he could tell that they were amateurs. He liked Kelly the best, but not by much.

No comments: