Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Darren't Support

Darren Hayes is gay.

I always had my suspicions but never truly believed it. That was before I saw him live (and got to see his mannerisms - very different to the ones in his video clips) and especially before I saw on the news break that he was getting married, to his boyfriend!

Of course his sexuality doesn't affect me in the slightest but I feel a little disappointed that I used to imagine him... you know, in that way. Well, not exactly that way, but close enough. Ew.

Don't think I've mentioned this but lots of his (Savage Garden's, mostly) songs were like a soundtrack to my life and will always remind me of specific times in my life.

Crash and Burn

When you feel all alone
And the world has turned its back on you
Give me a moment please to tame your wild wild heart
I know you feel like the walls are closing in on you
It's hard to find relief and people can be so cold
When darkness is upon your door and you feel like you can't take anymore...

...When you feel all alone
And a loyal friend is hard to find
You're caught in a one way street
With the monsters in your head
When hopes and dreams are far away and
You feel like you can't face the day


Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone

It was like a lullaby that soothed me as I lied in bed in my foreign exchange host family's house on New Year's Eve, all alone.

Strange Relationship

...You push and pull me and
I'm about to loose my mind
Is this just a waste of time...

...Gimme that strange relationship
Never felt pleasure and pain like this
Something so right but it feels so terribly wrong
I keep holding on
Gimme that strange relationship
One of us gotta let go of this...

...We break up and back together
And I swore to myself never
Oh how you do me
You strip me of my honor
And I don't ever think I'm gonna
Break free of these mind games
All I'm trying to do is modify my plan
'Cause I can't contain you...

...I can't control me...

...I want you back, I want you gone
Maybe I'm sick of holding on...

This one I listened to over and over when Max was on my mind 24/7. Although Darren was probably talking about his feelings for some guy, the lyrics suited the way I felt too.

These two songs were probably the main ones, but I loved all the others too. Each of them took me away. Some were inspiring, some made me want to dance, some soothed me when I was going through the pains of growing up, some made me dream of a sweeter future. And after all those years, I can still listen to them and relate.

No comments: