Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catching up with the Original Best Friend

Met up with Nadine today. Don't remember the last time I saw her. I think it was a year ago. Had such a great time, I wondered why we don't keep in touch more, like we used to.

She told me about her job as a nurse. How seeing a baby being resuscitated made her cry. She said it jumped on the board as it was getting shocks. She told me how adults are so much worse than kids. They whinge and can't accept that sometimes there's nothing that can be done about their pain. Kids, on the other hand, are much more accepting and don't complain as much. She said they were so understaffed a student had to do the work of a nurse without being seen by any doctors, otherwise the patients would suffer.

It's an interesting line of work she got herself into.

It was also good to chat to her about life of cohabitation. How she and Dean share the chores. We were eating sushi as we were talking about it and the cleaner just walked by as I was telling Nadine how I told David from the start that, "There's no way I'm cleaning the toilets!" I must've said it too loud because the cleaner gave me the dirtiest look.

A few minutes later we were talking about Liz and how she only had physical relationships with guys. Nadine exclaimed, "You can't base your relationship on sex!" and all the tables around us turned around.

Afterwards we decided to go for a walk. As we were browsing different homeware, I realised that I had more in common with Nadine than with April. We were both on the same level where we had long-term partners with whom we were planning on spending our lives. We had the same problems of buying property, getting furniture, which brand of appliances was better.

We laughed about the same issues of having your boyfriend sleep over at your house with your parents there. She told me how one day her Dad said to her, "I know that you sleep with Dean, I can hear the noise from your room, but I just wanted to ask you, 'Are you happy'?" She said she was still trying to absorb the first part of the conversation before being able to say anything. I understood that it was hard to be completely silent when beds creak no matter how quiet you think you are but man, you just don't want to know that your parents know.

Nadine's Dad is a classic though, she reminded me of the time we were at our piano teacher's house and all the Mums were there talking to the teacher about their daughters growing up when Nadine's Dad piped in, "Well, Nadine doesn't have her period yet!" She didn't speak to him for a week. He didn't even get what he said that was wrong. She said he brought it up at dinner a few weeks ago and it was almost like experiencing it the first time. He still didn't get what so wrong about it.

Time flew by so quickly. My new job will be close to where she's studying so we might have more chances to meet up for lunch.

It's her birthday party soon so will see her then as well.

Before she left, she said, "It's weird having to worry about someone else all the time. I have to let somebody else know when I'm coming home because he'll be waiting for me. But it's also kinda nice, having someone there waiting for you."

I can't wait till David and I live together. I'm getting very impatient. We're at the point where we get frustrated if we don't see each other.

We went to look for furniture yesterday and I was so happy that we have the exact same taste. We said the same things at the same time which was freaky, but oh so great!

No comments: