Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New Permanency

I got the job I was interviewed for two weeks ago. Same position in a different region but with one big difference: it's permanent. I really didn't expect to get it.

I have mixed feelings as I love my current job. I love my desk (which no one can see and gives me privacy to do whatever I want). I love sitting near a window and in a room with windows on the ceiling, providing good natural light which makes it easier to concentrate. I love the people I work with, always there to have a good chat. I love my work, full of variety and gives me enough space to be creative but enough boundaries to make it doable. I love being able to leave late in the morning and I love being able to leave work at 4pm.

The new place has a much larger team (who I still have to impress), in an old building, in the crowded city. I have to catch the train which means I can't leave home whenever I feel like. Since it'll take longer to get there, I'll get back later too. I'll probably have a computer in full view of everybody.

I've been really spoilt with my current job and work conditions. Anything even a little worse is disappointing.

The ironic thing is that now that I'm leaving and the person I'm replacing isn't coming back, they will be advertising my current position. Maybe if I really hate the new place, I can apply to this one. If I didn't get the new job, they wouldn't hurry to advertise it. Now they'll have to.

It'll be another new chapter of my life. I'm happy I managed to stay in one place for over a year! Thought that would never happen. I wanted to stretch it for as long as possible so I could have a long period in one job on my resume. Unfortunately I have to start again. I hope the new manager won't be too upset when I ask to take two weeks off for the honeymoon.

I start there in a few weeks. I'm nervous but excited about starting something new. It could turn out really well, right?

No comments: