Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wedding and New Home

The real estate agent called me today to tell me he's put the 'Sold' sign next to our new home! We finally managed to exchange contracts (something that was supposed to happen more than a week ago but the vendor decided to go overseas before signing the contract).

What a weird feeling!

We have settlement in September. We can actively start to look for furniture.

My parents, grandparents and David's parents have been wanting to give/buy us things for the new home. I don't want to sound ungrateful but I'd much rather go and choose things like plates myself. I've been looking forward to decorating the way I want to, not to find place for other people's gifts.

David and I are planning on doing the bridal registry thing where people can go and buy us stuff off the list that we make, rather than getting duplicates. I told my grandparents of this and they thought that wasn't "tactful" but that's because they are not used to it. We think it's a brilliant idea and it's widespread enough for people not to get offended.

Last weekend I bought stationery supplies for the invitations. I thought I'd save some money by making them myself (and of course I will) but just the paper and decorations cost me $80!

I was reading wedding forums and it annoys me how some people say they've spent $50 on invitations, their brother is a professional photographer, their mother is a baker and the whole wedding ends up being $5000. That was my initial goal but that was before I realised that $75 per head for 70 guests already goes over that.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to making the invites and figuring out how I'm going to decorate the cake.

My current issue that I have is with table decorations. The problem is that I have a certain look in mind but it's prooving difficult to find the items I need. I thought it'd be easy to hire some long thin vases but no. And it's not going to be cheap.

No comments: