Sunday, August 05, 2007

Girls Night In

Had a great time at April's last night. So great that I only got home at 1am.

Ella was already there when I got there, making dinner. April has been home alone for a week as her parents are overseas so she was making the best of her time.

After dinner April and Ella introduced me to some of Lifehouse other songs and I've fallen in love with "Breathing", especially this part:

cause I am hanging on every word you say and
even if you don't wanna speak tonight
that's alright, alright with me
cause I want nothing more than
to sit outside your door
and listen to your breathing
is where I wanna be

That part really tugged on some heart strings. I also loved the lyrics of "Everything":

find me here
and speak to me
I want to feel you
I need to hear you
you are the light
that's leading me
to the place
where I find peace again

you are the strength
that keeps me walking
you are the hope
that keeps me trusting
you are the life
to my soul
you are my purpose
you're everything

and how can I
stand here with you
and not be moved by you
would you tell me
how could it be
any better than this

All I could think was, "I wish David was here so just his one look could convey all the words of all those songs".

I couldn't help but sense that they loved those songs for the wish of having someone feel like that about them.

April and Ella said, "By the time we have kids, your kids will be able to baby-sit them."

We played Cluedo and I won.

Then we just talked. About relationships, as it's the most common topic with us. I was surprised to learn that April would want to have a separate account when she gets married. Then she and Ella were counting down when they needed to meet their future husbands for them to get married at their preferred ages.

April said, "Ok, so for me to get married at 25, I need to be engaged to him for a year, then I need to have gone out with him for a year before that. That means I have to meet him now. Oh wait, where would my whole 'living with him for a year' be? Ok, stuff that, we'll live together after we get married... Maybe we can move together after 6 months. That could work."

"Anything to cut corners, right?" I added.

"Of course, no time to waste... Oh crap, I need to meet him now."

Then Ella exclaimed, "So what are we doing here, sitting around the heater, instead of being out meeting them?!"

April also changed her view of there being only one person that's right for you. Actually she became a lot like me and doesn't believe in fate anymore. Ella is still optimistic.

I was happy to share my views of relationships and they were happy to listen since I was speaking from experience. I found April quite naive about it all. She was pretty much of the opinion that if the guy didn't have the same views as her, she'd break up with him. I had to explain that it wasn't that simple. When you have feelings for somebody, you want to be able to overcome all the obstacles, no matter how impossible they seem.

April said, "Soon when you have kids, you'll be so different to us. You'd have adult things to think about." I replied, "I think about adult things now but I still don't feel that different."

It's actually weird that even though I'm getting married and about to have a mortgage, I feel just like I did a few years ago, only much happier.

On Friday, David looked at me and said, "Babe, you don't look like someone who's getting married." I told him I was breaking stereotypes and he said, "You always like to break stereotypes."

As I was chatting with April and Ella, I had fleeting moments of thinking about David.


Ella wasn't as talkative and sometimes I wondered if it was because we haven't known each other for that long or if she was just not as opinionated as April and me.


I drove home in such a peaceful state of mind. There's nothing like having a good long talk about everything and anything with good girlfriends.

Today in the morning, I called David and had a good talk with him which made me realise that no matter how wonderful your girlfriends are, nothing beats having a guy friend who's in love with you.

I miss David more than I can say.

No comments: