Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Some Pondering

Some Pondering

Finally, I can write an entry that's not rushed like the few previous ones. Now I have time to ponder the deep things in life. Like, what makes someone a good blog writer?

Is it the ability to articulate oneself in interesting ways? A personality? To come up with intelligent and thought provoking ideas? An acute observation of life?

It's probably all of those (and maybe more - there's a limit to how many rhetorical questions I can ask right now).

What brought on this thought? (Oops, I guess I can write more after all.) We've had an interesting discussion of blogs in one of my tutorials today. I was surprised at how many people read them. It's weird to think that someone in my class might've come across this. Don't want to go on a tangent here but I will 'cause I have to mention that a while ago I met a person who read my blog at one point. That person didn't know that I was the author of this blog but I knew that they read it. It's weird to think that I might've also spoken to someone who has a blog and didn't even know it.

Anyway, back to the tutorial discussion. People were saying how polluted the internet was with boring blogs. I don't know why but I took some offence to that as if the person was talking about my blog. Although I do agree that the internet has a lot of rubbish but I really don't think that blogs contribute to that. If you don't like reading a blog, then don't read it. It's that simple. And bloggers usually have some personal attachment to their blogs because it's a record of their thoughts/lives/feelings so saying that someone's thoughts/feelings are polluting the internet is a bit harsh.

I think blogging is a great way to let everyone (who has access to the internet) speak out their opinions and views and reach such a wide audience. And it's also great (really can't think of relevant synonyms to this adjective) to be able to read ordinary people's thoughts on life and other topics. The anonymity of the internet allows people to share their inner-most feelings with us, an opportunity that otherwise we would never have had.

Ok, enough pondering from me. What do you think?

No comments: