Friday, December 24, 2004

Day 5 - Day 7

Day 5: Other Travellers

Stood in line for the continental breakfast behind Rob who was hung-over. Got pancakes, toast, apple and cranberry juice. Rob sat next to us so we talked a bit. I asked where he got the jam for the toast. Then some girl put her plate down opposite Rob and he suggested for me to take her jam (when she went to get something). I said, "You like taking other people's food, dont you" and he said, "Yeah, I have a thing for stealing others' food".

While we were waiting to get on the bus, some guy came to talk to us. I was happy to hear that he wasn't into drinking. But he swore a lot.

We had an excursion of the harbour. Can't say I really liked it. The scenery was nothing special but I took lots of photos anyway.

At dinner, Lauren and I had to sit with James and Megan (the young couple who couldn't keep their hands off each other) so all through dinner Lauren and I had to watch them cuddle, kiss and tease each other. It was revolting. Why can't people in love realise that other people don't want to see them show-off their happiness.

Day 6: Yay! Creep Gives Me His Phone Number

Today was spent mostly on the bus. We drove out of San Diego and through south-west country which was exactly how I expected it to be - long-winding highway through the sandy landscape of the desert with tall and thick cacti that you see in Western films.

We had to introduce ourselves. I hated doing it 'cause it reminded me of school/uni and I was worried about public speaking (especially about myself) but surprisingly I sounded all right. I can't believe we had to say our social status. I was so embarrassed to admit that I was single that I was contemplating on saying that I had a boyfriend. But then I thought that I'd just be shooting myself in the foot and none of the single guys would talk to me. I tried to remember what all the guys said but I forgot some of them anyway.

During our first rest stop, Ian (the guy who came up to talk to us earlier) came up again. He asked what the name of the town was. He then went on saying how he doesn't like roller-coasters but he promised his friend he would go because he didn't want to seem like a wimp. (He's 24, by the way.) And now he's thinking of telling the friend he can't go anymore. I told him that's not fair to the other guy. If he didn't want to go, he should've told him straight up and not cancel at the last minute (because I hate when people do that) and he said I'm right and he won't cancel 'cause that would be mean. (He used different words though which I don't really want to write.) He wasn't single.

Back on the bus, we were encouraged to swap seats and meet people we haven't talked with before. During this, I met Keith, a 30-something from New Orleans (who told everyone in his introduction that he was caught by police having sex with 2 women in some New Orleans park).

When I mentioned that we were going to New Orleans, he gave me some suggestions where I should go. When we moved seats again and he sat behind me, he passed me a piece of paper. On it was his number. He said I should call him when in New Orleans. All I could think was that a guy gave me his number! Who cares how old he was or that he's a sleazy creep!

On our second rest stop, saw Ian walk past and he smiled unlike other people (i.e. Rob) who walked by without a glance.

Arrived in Arizona to a much better hotel room that actually has a fridge and a microwave.

Have to wake up early tomorrow to go on a hot air balloon ride so have to go for now.

Oh! I saw 7th Heaven wedding and felt like crying. Lucy was getting married before finishing college and was getting worried about getting married young and her older brother, Matt, said how lucky she was to find someone she loves and who loves her back and it was ok that she didn't reach all her goals yet because she could always reach them in the future. The only difference is that she'll have someone's hand to hold while she goes after what she wants. I wanted to throw things at the TV.

Day 7: A New Experience

Woke up bright and early today for the hot air balloon excursion. Had a yummy toasted raisin bagel for breakfast and took some other food with me.

The hot air balloon ride was an experience like no other. Being squashed in a little basket with 12 other people (all with cameras in hand ready to snap away) while being blown under a large colourful balloon over the morning mist of the Sonoran desert is going to be added to another life experience that will always be remembered and will hopefully make me a better rounded person. If only it would get me RG. Oops, sorry, I'm still trying to break my habit of comparing all great experiences to how great it would be to have RG, but nothing ever matches up which diminishes the value of those wonderful experiences.

There were lots of spaced out shrubs below me with a few large cacti thrown in. We were told that a cactus only grows another arm after 75 years which made some cacti (according to my calculations) almost a 1000 years old!

There were also wild cows wandering slowly through the desert in small groups. Also saw a couple of hares running along the coppery cold paths.

The sun was peaking from behind the mountains, making shadows of everything across the ground.

The scenery was not the only thing that made the experience. The sounds created another dimension. The soft swooshing of the wind, the regular pumping of gas into the balloons - all created the originality of the experience.

After the ride, we got back on the bus to find our usual seats taken by other people. I walked along the bus, looking for two empty seats for Lauren and me but I realised there were only single empty seats. I saw one next to Ian and was happy to sit next to him for a few hours but another girl was standing next to the seat so I moved on to another one. I saw an empty one next to an occupant who was with the others outside. I hoped that person was someone nice.

I was happy to find it was taken by Tim (the guy I noticed the first day of the tour). We had a pretty interesting conversation about his future medical career (he told me, more than I wanted to know, horror stories from his work experience at a hospital), about his sister (who turned out to be the girl who I thought was his girlfriend) and some other stuff. He turned out to be a few months younger than me. (I asked using my sneaky ways.)

Had a rest stop in a beautiful area. There were too many angles from which I could've made hundreds of gorgeous photos but I tried to restrain myself. I had to accept that photos can't capture the hundreds of images that surround you from every direction to create that beautiful piece of the world.

When we got back on the bus, Ian was sitting in front of me. He's such an energy ball. I found it entertaining just to watch him talk. He's always so into what he's talking. (He does some job that I don't think requires a tertiary education but I can't remember what it is. Something electrical I think.)

I was quite pleased to be talking with two guys for the trip.

At the next stop, I was looking through some souvenir shop when Keith came up to me and said how beautiful some pots were and that he hadn't seen them anywhere else. I said I saw them in the previous town (even though I don't think I have) and moved further from him. Felt like telling him, "Don't try and talk to me. I still won't sleep with you in a park when I'm in New Orleans". Don't really want anything to do with a 30-something year old who slept with two women at once in a public place. It's too sleazy.

Since we were getting so close to the Grand Canyon, the temperature has dropped dramatically.

When Lauren and I were crossing the road, I could hear whistling in my ears. My face started tingling. Once we were on the bus, I wished I could cuddle up to a sweet and warm guy. Tim would've been fine since he's so much bigger than me and I feel tiny next to him. If my boyfriend was a big (and I don't necessarily mean fat) guy (just broad and tall), I would never worry about my weight.

When we got to the hotel, I wanted to call my Mum but the phone wouldn't work and it was too cold and dark to find another one. Had a bit of a pang of home-sickness or more like "I miss my Mummy" syndrome.

No comments: