Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Between the Lines

David finished his exams today. I don't know who's happier, him or me.

We can again see each other as often as we like. Which is pretty much all the time.

Went to his house straight after work today. Got there just as he was coming back from picking up his Mum. After saying hello, his Mum asked, "Where's the kiss?" I didn't understand what she was talking about. David was just saying, "Muuum!" Then she repeated more clearly, "Why didn't you give each other a kiss? David, give Sky a kiss!"

How embarrassing! I guess I should understand why David has no issues with displays of public affection. Although that obviously doesn't include his parents.

I wonder if his Mum thinks we are not very affectionate. But just 'cause you don't see something, doesn't mean it never happens.

Later we were chatting and David was telling me about giving advice to some guy at uni. This guy liked a girl who wasn't really into him and was quite upset about it. David told him, "You have to move on. There are plenty of other chicks". Also, since this guy wasn't very good looking, David added, "Girls don't really pay attention to how you look. What they want is someone confident and funny. You got the funny thing going but I look at you and the confidence isn't showing".

I told David I was impressed with his advice because from my own perspective, he understands exactly what girls want. Well, what I want. I told him that I agreed that looks aren't that important, it's more about how the guy makes her feel.

Then I said, "If you seem to know what girls want, tell me what guys want". He replied, "That's more difficult because some guys just want a root, some want a casual relationship. I want a serious one."

I said, "Ok then, what advice would you have given me when I was single?"

He answered, "You hung out with the wrong people. April is too depressing and she never wants to go anywhere. Amelia is outgoing but she scares guys off. She never gives them a chance because she thinks they all want one thing. Your uni friends just hang out with each other. You needed to meet different people. I think you were always at the wrong place at the wrong time."
Then I said, "Except the one when it really mattered".

We wondered where we would have been had we not met each other.

After dinner, we went to see Little Miss Sunshine. Very nice film.

We agreed to meet tomorrow. Can't wait!

(It's weird, as I was writing this post, I tried to give it a sense of what happened but now I realise I missed all the stuff that made time with David as wonderful as it was. You might just have to read between the lines).

No comments: