Thursday, November 16, 2006

Useless Shoes Dilemma

Today at lunch, at the shopping centre, I was internally debating the merits of having green shoes.

Recently something hit me that made me want to buy yellow shoes to match a yellow top (something I don't have). I imagined myself in this bright summery look for a couple of weeks now.

Then today, at Sportsgirl, I saw really nice bright green shoes. I thought to myself that green might also look well with jeans and a green top (something I do have).

The problem with highly saturated coloured shoes is that you have to wear something of the exact same shade of colour. I mean, bright green shoes will not look good with a pale green top.

I only have one bright green top that would go with those shoes so it seems like a waste of money to buy shoes which I could only wear with one top.

As I was standing there, I thought what I'm sure lots of other people think when they want to buy something that's not really necessary, "Do I really need them?" Of course I don't. But, "Will I regret not buying them?" and enjoying this stage of my life when I can be a victim of fashion and not look ridiculous? I mean, will I regret not enjoying fashion as a young woman, when I turn 40?

Those questions were followed by "Do I want to spend almost $100 on shoes I probably won't be able to wear in a few months when they go out of fashion?", "I'm sure I can find something that I could wear for longer for that much money".

I left the shopping centre without those shoes, but now I'm thinking, "Would the same style in red be better to buy?"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

FWIW, I've worn green shoes happily for quite a while. However, I would really avoid the matchy-matchy top thing; the right pair of colored shoes are a great statement on their own, and I think they work a lot better with a complementing outfit than a matching one.

Just for fun, these are my current green shoes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Sol_solved/greenshoes.jpg

Sky said...

Nice shoes, Sol!

The ones I saw are completely different. They are just green with no pattern and a little wooden wedge platform. So unless I wear it with black/white/brown, they might make me look like a clown.

The green top I have isn't completely green, it has white too so it would be ok.