Wednesday, November 29, 2006

High School Reunion

High school reunion was SO much fun! People I wanted to catch up with most didn't show up which was a bit disappoining but I enjoyed checking out everyone. Not like you can come up to someone you haven't seen in 5 years and ask them about their personal life but watching everyone was great too.

Some people looked the same, others just 5 years older. What surprised me most was how the girl who had a 2 year old child hasn't changed one bit since she was 18! She looked exactly the same. Gave me hope that having kids doesn't necessarily make you look older.

It was also interesting to see who brought partners. One girl surprised me and brought a girlfriend. When we saw them come in, we recognised the girl from our school but couldn't rembember who the other one was. She was wearing a tiny black dress and knee high black leather boots. Then we realised she was the partner of the girl from our school.

One weird girl asked me straight out how my love life was (while David and Mike were entertaining each other elsewhere) and it was so great to reply, "Oh, you haven't met my boyfriend, have you?" The shock in her eyes was very satisfying. I bet she only asked me because she expected me to say I didn't have anyone.

As soon as I went to introduce her to David and Mike, Mike blurted out, "So you are the famous one?" and I had to pretend I had no idea what he was talking about. Seriously men don't understand the concept of gossip. After she left, I told him that yes, that was the girl who studied law, was in the army and did pole dancing (great combination, I know).

Later, when I went back to talk to April and Claudia and we were discussing of ways to get the weird girl to talk about pole dancing (since we only knew from Amelia), Claudia said, "Look, she's picking up our boyfriends" and yes, that girl was chatting to David and Mike. When Claudia and April went to talk to someone else from our school, I went to talk to Mike, David and the weird girl.

As soon as I got there, the girl looked at me anxiously and asked, "How do they know I do pole dancing?" I couldn't believe the guys brought it up!!! I really didn't want to put Amelia in a bad position. After I managed to make the whole thing seem really casual, we talked about it.

After she left, I asked the guys why they had to ask her about that! And Mike was like, "Weren't we supposed to?" and David said, "We ran out of things to talk about". I don't think there's one manipulative backstabbing bone in either of those guys' bodies.

The reunion made me realise that the people I'm friends with I see anyway and I didn't have many friends I lost touch with. It was great to catch up with Allison though, and Beth (who was also quite surprised that Claudia and I had boyfriends for so long).

Mike asked me if I was quiet at school (probably 'cause people weren't running up to talk to me) and I was embarrassed to tell him that I was so I said I was like Claudia. He was really nice about it and told me that he didn't even go to his school reunion because one person he wanted to see didn't go. I was happy he kept me company while David was talking to another girl's boyfriend. Mike is the only guy whose personality I quite like but cannot even imagine being with. I never thought there'd ever be a guy who I could just be friends with.

I actually felt a little weird talking to David and Mike most of the time. In any other situation I would've been quite happy to be with the guys but that day it seemed kinda pathetic. I wonder if the other girls thought anything of it.

Afterwards, David, Mike, Claudia and I went for dinner. It was really great to go out with another couple (one I really like).

I don't know how David did it but he managed to get out more interesting gossip than me. He told me the boyfriends he talked with didn't see their relationships as very serious. He told me one guy was going overseas for a year and his girlfriend was staying here because he wanted to go and do his own thing.

I was a little upset when he told me that he jokingly said to another guy, "This place is full of girls and you can't do anything about it". I told him that when he said stuff like that it reflected badly on me, like I had a boyfriend who didn't really care about me.

Later he told me that there were so many girls but there was no one as hot as me. I couldn't believe he said it 'cause there were plenty of nice looking girls. When I gave him examples, he said, "Don't remember any of those. They weren't anything special". I knew he was probably just saying that but I couldn't help feel a little exhilirated because I wanted to believe that he really thought that way.

I was a bit sad that David couldn't catch the train back to my house with me 'cause it was late and a long journey. I closed my eyes and imagined David sitting next to me, with his arm around me and leaning on his shoulder.

The next day, I wished I could relive the reunion 'cause the feeling of seeing so many familiar faces which you haven't seen in years is undescribable.

No comments: