Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lips Narrowly Shut

Imagine if you could look into the future.

Imagine you could find out the inner thoughts and personal details of a guy your friend likes.

Just imagine...

Sounds fantastical right? Impossible? Yet so intriguing?

How can I even begin to tell you how I have the power to influence the fate of my closest friend? It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it, for I have never imagined to have so much influence on the future of another person.

I guess I should back up a little.

April found a guy. A guy that she can't find anything wrong with, which let me tell you is a miracle in itself. I didn't think much of it at the beginning. Something always goes wrong when it comes to guys and April. However, from what I hear, things are actually progressing in the right direction.

From what she told me, this guy is very smart, plays musical instruments, into philosophy, has the same sense of humour as her, confident, easy to talk to etc etc. Seriously sounds perfect. They even have personal conversations and border on flirting.

As you can imagine I was excited beyond words. I mean, finally she was going to get a boyfriend and we could joke about relationships rather than about single life.

We were chatting last night and being the person I am, the first thing I did was google his name. And lo and behold, I found a photo of him and also a link to his blog! April refused to read it because she thought it would be too weird if she knew stuff about him from his blog.

I, on the other hand, had no such problem (typically).

As I read, I discovered that this guy bordered on genius. He not only plays music, he composes it. His language is of a talented writer's standard. The way he uses vocabulary to weave his analytical and reflective thoughts is purely amazing. It was like reading poetry. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

April asked me to tell her if I read anything interesting so at first I quoted some parts that we could laugh at but then I quoted something April didn't like. This guy expects others to share their notes with him before exams. Although that's not such a huge thing to me, April started getting put off. Which got me worried. Imagine if she didn't give him a chance based on what he wrote in his blog. It would be my fault!

Then I read something which made me realise that I should not share one more thing from his blog with April. He talked about a girl he was very intimate with online but acted like acquaintances in real life. This went on for 5 years until one day she decided not to give him her notes right before the exam and how hurt he was that she wasn't a true friend.

This might sound a little silly to you but would April want to know about his relationship with this girl? Then I also read that he drank and smoked with her at some party. Would April want to know that too? He would be a straight no for her.

After going through his archives I learnt that he's a smoker and he even writes about it poetically. He has a whole paragraph on how the cigarette fell on the ground - the aesthetic motion, the spark...

He also cries when listening to some classical music.

These are all things April would judge him on immediately which is why I cannot let her know. I'm risking her being disappointed (especially at the smoking part) but what if she starts to like him so much that she would be able to accept that? Why deny her of that chance at happiness? What if he stops smoking for her? Why interfere with the natural progression of their relationship? Would she hate me for not telling her immediately?

These are some of the questions I have on my mind about this whole situation. I don't want to be the reason April doesn't fall in love and experience a relationship.

No comments: