Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Street

Driving to work every day made me forget how much pleasure I get from walking down my street.

You might remember, several weeks ago a very bad person damaged my car and drove off. Today I took it to smash repair which meant I had to catch the train home.

As I was walking to my house, I felt filled up with happiness. The small neat houses lining the street, trees lit up by the honey glow of the sun setting, flowers bursting with aromatic fragrances, the quiet tranquility, it felt like I was in some garden paradise.

It also brought back so many memories. Seeing the small group of teenage boys on skateboards year after year, like they never grew up. Their laid back after-school attitude and their messy hair was one of the many reasons I was happy about moving to this suburb when I was 13. I thought I would be friends with them. I thought I would be 'one of the guys' like I used to be in POB. That typically never happened.

I remember walking down this street with Nadine, in search of adventure. We didn't know what we were looking for, but we still looked. The atmosphere of my tucked away suburb seemed full of exciting possibilities.

Meeting April at the station and walking home together, laughing as always.

I also remember walking home after uni during the beginning of spring. My loneliness and contentness ran parallel as the narrow path curved under my feet. No matter how sad I felt, it was impossible not to let in the warmth of the street.

When I started working and coming home late, the smell of dinner cooking from each house just overtook my senses. It was almost like visiting all those houses during their evening meal. Sometimes I could hear talking, laughing, arguing; sometimes music and people chatting on the porch.

My Mum and I sometimes walked at night for some exercise. Before that, I walked with grandma when she visited from POB.

Now, I remember David walking down this street with me. We walked for the sake of walking. We'd chat about nothing. Or we'd chat about something. He'd grab my hand or put his arm around me...

Today I walked home and once again felt that invisible yet magnetic power, a spell, that mystically enveloped me by the magnificent magician - my street.

No comments: