Friday, May 28, 2004

Family Encouragement

My parents were so encouraging today, I feel like I’ve gained new confidence.

I showed them some designs that my friend from my course did to prove to them that I’m being realistic about my design abilities, not negative. I was surprised by their reaction. I thought they would just tell me to stop being negative and learn from my friend.

My Mum said that in the business world the best people don’t always get the job. Companies rather get someone who can do the job for less money and wouldn’t take over. And my Dad said that the main thing is not to be the best but to be above the required standard and he thinks that I am above that standard. They both think that I’m putting myself down for no good reason. And that work is not like uni where everyone reaches for the highest marks.

So I said, “Are you saying that it’s not good to be the best?” and my Dad said, “It’s best to have as much knowledge and as many skills as possible but know when to show and use them.” And that thought still stays in my mind.

The wisest person I know: my Dad
The kindest person I know: my brother
The most caring person I know: my Mum

No comments: