Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Public Thoughts

Had a major freak out because I saw someone I know looking through another blog that had a link to mine. I thought my worst fear was about to unravel right in front of my very eyes. I freaked out so much I told my brother about 'the situation', since keeping stuff inside can drive me crazy. And I wanted some (false) reassurance that everything will be ok.

After I told him, he asked me a very good question - why do I write personal stuff online if I'm so scared that people I know will find it?

I guess there are a number of reasons.

1. I like writing.
2. If I write about my life in an 'interesting' way, it might seem better than it really is. Sometimes when I read my archives, it feels like I'm reading about some character in a fiction book and that's kind of fun.
3. Knowing that other people like my blog motivates me to keep a record of my life. I can never stick to writing in a proper diary 'cause I get bored.
4. It's a good way to vent out my frustrations without affecting anyone I know. And at the same time connect with people that I don't know.
5. A small part of me thinks that by letting people read about my life, they would feel better about theirs. I always love it when I read about people who had similar experiences to me.
6. I also like to think that my blog is entertaining (well, sometimes anyway) and that makes me feel good.
7. I'm self-involved.

That's all I can think about right now.

No comments: