Saturday, May 01, 2004

Best Friends

I finally saw my school friends this week. It was a while and I was starting to miss them. It takes extra effort to meet up this year ‘cause the ones that go to my uni don’t have the same breaks and the other two (April and Christine) are even harder to find the same free time.

I saw Amelia and Claudia yesterday because even though they finish uni a few hours before my lunch break, they stayed just to see me. Made me feel special. What made me feel even more special was the (late) birthday present that Amelia gave me. She gave me a bracelet-watch that she made herself. It was absolutely beautiful and she said she ordered some parts of it from overseas. I can’t believe she went to so much effort! I wanted a nice watch to wear to clubs and other dressy places for ages. The bracelet of the watch was made out of silver flower beads and aquamarines (my birth stone). So I’ll be having a unique watch that no one in the world has. How cool is that?! That present was so touching, I wanted to give Amelia a present just to say thank you. She and Claudia said they’ll be having Friday lunch breaks with me from now on. I’m so happy about that because I never get to see them anymore.

Today, Claudia, Christine, April and I went to a jewellery making ‘party’ at April’s friend of a friend house. It was a very girly get-together. But fun, nonetheless. I made nice earrings and an ok (due to lack of resources) necklace. After that, Claud, Christine, April and I went to a Mexican place for dinner which was really nice. It’s great to be able to have normal food again (until Monday, at least). They gave me a late (part of a) present. It was a travel diary for my upcoming trip to America. I remember telling April that I wanted one but not just any. I wanted a nice one that wasn’t too big but with enough room to write and different sections for things like addresses etc. I was looking for one before and couldn’t find one that I liked but they got me one that has everything I wanted. It’s perfect!

We were having a conversation (the same one that we had last year) about how we should meet up every month no matter what. We already decided on a date for our next meeting. I wonder if it will work this time. I guess we end up meeting anyway but sometimes we can go for more than a month without seeing each other.

It doesn’t really feel like that long though, especially with April because I talk with her almost every day either through MSN or phone. I also talk to the others but not as often. So I feel like I know what’s going on with all of them even if I don’t physically see them.

I have to say that I’m a bit surprised that I stay in such close contact with all of them after school ended. I wasn’t even such good friends with Claudia and Christine at school.

When I reflect on all this, it makes me feel so happy to have friends who make me feel so significant and accept me as I am and are there for me if I need them. I don’t think I can ever take them for granted. Sometimes they feel like my extended family because even though I get mad and upset at them sometimes, I still love them.

No comments: