Saturday, September 30, 2006

Different Sides of Happiness

Happiness is the best revenge. Heard peope say that many times but yesterday I got to experience it and let me tell you, revenge never tasted so sweet.

I also met Blog Guy (who I guess now can call Praket), a bit of a disappointment but it satisfied my curiosity.

So... April invited me (and David and the gang) to meet up with Praket and his friends. Of course I was there. Actually ended up talking to him alone while April talked with Mike and Claudia, and David just walked quietly next to me. I was wondering why April didn't join us but I thought I might as well get to know him while I had the chance.

Man, he talked non-stop (about Arts and culture). To be honest, I was getting bored, even though I didn't mind either subject.

We were supposed to go and see a free broadcast of a symphony ('cause Praket loves classical music and it was his idea to go) but because he came so late, they venue was full and they didn't let any more people in. (His friends managed to get through.)

I suggested to go to the Latin festival close by so we all walked there.

When we got there, we sat on the boardwalk and shared the snacks that we all (except Praket) brought. It was a nice little group to chat in. April was a bit quiet around him. We found out he went out with a girl from our school. Gosh, that would be weird if April and he decide to go out in the future.

Afterwards, I was ready to dance so everyone else followed us onto the dancefloor. I was trying to make things easier for April 'cause I asked Praket specifically if he wanted to dance and he said yes so it would've been a great opportunity for him and April to dance together. But no, April decided she didn't want to dance but wanted to go and sit somewhere. So they started walking away when I decided I could give her my bag to mind so it would be easier for me to dance. I ran after her (which prompted Claudia and Mike to follow me).

Then all of a sudden I saw Claudia saying hello to some group. I turned to see and it was Amy, Allison, Jacqui and Mary (i.e. The Group members)! They were all really dressed up. David thought they looked like they were trying to pick up. I heard Mary say to Amy, "They all look so young" like it was a bad thing. I guess we were just more casually dressed. They also checked out the guys we were with. The interested looks on their faces were priceless. I guess it would've been more expected that they would be the ones with the guys, not us. They were the pretty popular ones that everyone liked.

I remembered all the times that I felt like I didn't fit with that group, like I wasn't outgoing and social enough. The feelings of isolation and not being completely accepted for myself. I couldn't be silly without them looking at me like I was a weirdo. I had to watch what I said so they wouldn't take it the wrong way. I couldn't joke without receiving their blank looks. No wonder they always saw me as the 'quiet girl'.

That was all gone last night. I was still my old self, only more open because I didn't care if I got their approval. I had my real friends with me and I had the gorgeous boyfriend right behind me. And I felt proud of Claudia and April. The other girls never even gave them a second look in high school but it was Claudia and April who had the guys.

I don't know why but having a partner is seen as a sign of success. It shouldn't be but that's how it is with the girls I know. You have a boyfriend (and a good job) and that means you have it all. If you have your school friends with you, that's seen as an extra bonus.

I think I was looking forward to my school reunion so much because I wanted to see this specific group to show them that I didn't end up a failure. My wish came a little earlier than expected.

April pointed out that they could also have boyfriends and this was just a girls night out. I mean that could've been true but I doubted it. They were really dressed to impress, they were looking around the place, like they were checking it out rather than enjoying themselves together, and dancing really self-consciously.

After our little catch-up chat, especially with Allison ('cause she's the only sweet genuine one out of the bunch), Claudia, Mike, David and I moved towards the stage to watch the band playing. David had his arms around me and would sometimes give me a kiss on the cheek and because I could see The Group looking at us through the crowd (when I turned my head back to see David), I was enjoying it for all the wrong reasons.

I guess my evil side came out.

After the dancing, Mike and Claudia went home. David and I went to where April and Praket were sitting. We chatted to them for a bit. I could really see what April meant when she said they will only ever be friends. And it wouldn't be such a tragedy for April anyway. David wasn't the only one who noticed how self-centred he was. But he was an ok guy to hang out with. I might like him more if he makes April happy. A lot more. He was a bit funny which was in his favour.

When we left Praket to meet his friends and walked onto our train platform, David tapped me on the shoulder to point out that Jacqui, Amy and Mary were also on the platform, calling out my name. April didn't hear them either.

I turned around to say hello when the train came. Strangely enough they didn't follow us into the same carriage. April thought that was a bit snobby but David said they could've thought we were snobby for ignoring them. Well, it wasn't my fault I didn't hear them.

I wonder what we could've all talked about on the train.

On the train, David was asking how I changed groups in high school and how April and I became friends. It was nice to reminisce. Made me appreciate my friends when I remembered The Group. April, Amelia, Claudia and Christine not just accepted me the way I was, they actually liked me for who I was.

After April got off, David and I gossipped about the interesting night. Felt really lucky to have him. I couldn't have asked for a better boyfriend. He was worth the wait. Hope that's how April feels when she meets the right guy.

David left in the morning 'cause he wanted to get some homework done but he's coming back later so we can go to Christine's and Evan's new place. The girl called to tell me to come a bit later so she can go and buy chairs for us to sit on. Oh, the joys of independent living.

Should be fun!

Just noticed David's quote after his nick on Messenger:

"You are the closest thing to heaven, I don't want to miss you tonight!!"

My sentiments exactly. Can't get enough of "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls, now.

No comments: