Monday, October 02, 2006

The Next Dance

The long weekend is almost over and even though I'm getting the "end of long-weekend blues", I know there'll be plenty more in the future.

David and I visited Christine and Evan in their new home. Gosh, that felt weird. The first person in my group of close friends to move out and start independent adult life.

The place was small but Christine used her creativity to splash her taste and style to every room. She made it cosy. (David thought it was too cramped.)

When we got there (with April), Evan was in the kitchen making dinner, while looking at a huge colourful recipe book. David said, "So you're the chef today?" and Christine quickly said that she did the first part (i.e. the chopping and getting everything ready). Evan just had to put it all in the oven. David later commented that they had great team-work going. Quite surprising since April and I expected Christine to be bossing Evan around.

Claudia came a bit later (without Mike). We had a great chat-fest while David talked to Evan about finance since Evan is in the same industry that David is studying to be in. Who would've thought that my boyfriend would get along with the guy who none of us liked when we were 17 year old? It makes me embarrassed just remembering how April, Amelia, Claudia and I bitched how annoying it was that he always came on all our outings. It was hard for me to understand that Christine might always want him to come with her. I guess we just all grew up.

Dinner was wonderfully delicious! They really put effort into it. We were served spicy pumkin and sweet potato curry soup, tender lamb roast with cous cous stuffing, baked potatoes, peas and roast eggplant on the side and fruit in jelly for dessert. We were all very impressed.

When the girls and I were sitting on the couch talking, while David was keeping Evan company in the kitchen, I was filled with anxiety and panic. I freaked out. I don't know why. Maybe I was overwhelmed that I was seeing something that I so badly wanted to have (in my head) and maybe the reality was different. Maybe I convinced myself that's what I wanted when deep down I really didn't.

I imagined David and I living in that place by ourselves. It could've been the apartment that gave that sense of isolation from everything, like we'd be marooned in our own little island box, floating in between other boxes. The only thing that calmed me down was knowing that I wouldn't be doing it alone, I'd have David. I can't really feel panic if I know he'd be with me.

Maybe it's like any big change. It's a bit of a shock at the beginning but once it becomes part of your daily routine, you just accept it and it becomes the new norm. Just another chapter in life.

Speaking of new things, when I took my jacket off, David inquired if I was wearing a new top. I told him I wasn't and that he's seen it before. Then he commented that it looked really nice. I told him that's exactly what he said last time. That tiny incident makes me hope that no matter how often he sees me, he will always feel as nice as the first time.

When we left, the three of us (including April) talked about the night. David didn't think the whole (moving out) thing was such a big deal. April and I, on the other hand, were a little reflective.

After April got off the train, David said that he didn't want to live in a place that cramped. Then we talked about uhm... the future. I knew where he was coming from in regards to him wanting to find a permanent job before we take any serious steps but in my head I knew that it'd be possible for us to manage with just me working and still get the dream I always wanted (well, as close to it as possible). We were arguing over a few months difference in when we'd take that step. Well, to him it was 'just a few months' but to me it was already a year too long.

Then after a lot of discussion, he said that even though in his head he thought it'd be better to wait, he 'felt' that my way was the right way and that it would work out. I'm not the one to trust in feelings but I guess he balances that out. I'm the head, he's the heart.

I know it will be difficult at the beginning, but I reckon it's always difficult at the beginning, no matter how much money you have. I believe it's all about the attitude. If we both look at it positively, we would find a way to make it work. I told him that and he agreed.

I went to sleep very happy.

The next day, my parents left to a different city for a day with their friends so we had the whole house to ourselves. (My brother left on a trip with his friends.) We made the most of it.

He brought his books so he studied for a few hours while I cleaned and did the laundry. Then we had lunch and watched TV. After a while, he all of a sudden said, "Wanna do something crazy?" Of course I said yes. He got up and said, "Let's go dancing". I put on my shoes and we went to the city where the Latin festival was still on. So ok, it's not that crazy but it was spontaneous since he earlier said he didn't feel like going there that night.

I think when I have kids, that's what I'd miss the most. The ability to just drop everything and go where we want to.

We had SUCH a great time! We must've danced for almost 2 hours straight. We saw my brother and his guy friends later. He and his friends provided great entertainment with their pick-up ritual. David and I found the whole thing really amusing.

The guys scanned the surroundings and a group of girls nearby caught their attention.
The group of girls noticed the guys and glanced periodically in their direction.
The guys moved (subtly) over to the girls.
The girls danced (subtly) towards the guys.
The guys pushed my brother to talk to them.
Andy went for the prettiest of the bunch (exactly the way I told David he would).
Andy started dancing with the prettiest girl, chatting to her.
The other guys took the leftovers.

In a matter of minutes, one of his friends had his arm around one of the girls and wouldn't let her go for the rest of the night. I didn't see them talk even once.

Once the other guys joined in, my brother lost confidence and got quiet.

David and I lost interest after a while and just enjoyed dancing together. I had this film-like moment when we were spinning and everything was blurry except his smiling face. That was so metaphoric. (Everything's a blur to me except him, most of the time.)

Had a much better time than on Friday. The music was more enjoyable and we didn't have to worry about other people having a good time.

I was really physically tired. Wish I could dance like that every day. The most fun workout, ever! David and I are planning on taking Latin dance classes in summer. Can't wait.

When we got back to my house, he had to go. We ended up talking on the phone way past midnight after he got to his house. Obviously I miss him already.

1 comment:

Mo said...

When you have kids, you can still drop everything and just go. You change the places where you want to go & the time you have to go there. Minor adjustments.