Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Social Circles

I have always believed that if I hung around a certain type of people, I would be one of them. The problem was in finding that type. The type that I could really connect with. Since I couldn’t find that, I just had to find connections with people of other types. For example, my closest friends are nothing like the type that I wanted but they’re still people that I can connect with on a different level. The problem with being with these people is that I’ve grown so accustomed to them and have become one of them that when I meet someone from the type that I’ve wanted to hang around with all along, I find it hard to connect with them.

If that makes sense.

I’m starting to realise that there are so many sides of ourselves that the ones that we take on the most are the ones that allow us to makes the best of our social environment, even if those sides of ourselves are not our favourite.

So when there’s an opportunity for our social environment to change, it’s a bit difficult to project the other sides of ourselves, even if we prefer them to the ones that we’re used to. But when we do, we get a huge sense of contentment and fulfilment.

Translation of the above: I’ve met a lot of people this semester that are so much like the type that I’ve always wanted to be involved with. This type is hard to describe but I’ll try: intelligent, very friendly, open, warm, deep-thinkers, fun-loving but not very extroverted, self-aware, good conversationalists, very genuine, generous, funny, people that you feel like you already know. Most of them are from America. One girl I’ll be meeting up with when Lauren and I go there at the end of the year. Another one offered to let us stay with her but unfortunately we won’t be visiting her city.

It’s a bit sad that I haven’t been around people like that but I’m grateful for the friends that I do have and I’m glad that I’ve found a way to connect with them.

No comments: