Saturday, April 05, 2003

Talking To Strangers

I feel like writing something so I'll tell you about an incident at my job (the book shop one).

A was helping a woman pick out a book for her grandson and she went into a long story about the boy's life. It was so sad and personal and private that I didn't know what to do. I don't understand how people can tell such personal stories to complete strangers. It was basically about how the boy's mother doesn't want him and her new husband emotionally abuses him so he clings to her (the grandmother). The boy also thinks it's his fault that his parents broke up and his school work is sufferring. He is 7 but can't read. I just felt so sorry for the whole family. But what can I say? Maybe the woman just wanted to talk to someone. I hope it helped.

This wasn't the first time. Customers tells me so much and I only worked there for a week. It's good that I like talking to people because otherwise I'd go crazy.

I'm not sure if the manager likes me though.

No comments: