Monday, July 21, 2003

Mothers And Daughters. Max Makes An Appearance. Friends.

My Mum has been acting really weird lately. Well, actually since Thursday. After I got home and generally told her about my day and what my friends are up to, she said, "We should go out together sometime". In my head I was like, "Where did that come from?!" but all I could do was start giggling. She said, "Seriously, why not? We should go to lunch or something and have a, you know, heart-to-heart..." That just cracked me up even more. I couldn't believe she was saying something like that. The only time I go somewhere with my Mum is when we go shopping. I started to get suspicious that maybe she wanted to talk about something specific with me but she denied that, saying why can't we just go somewhere together.

Then, because I mentioned earlier about Christine's family/boyfriend predicament, she somehow twisted the conversation about my non-existent boyfriend and how she can understand that Christine's parents want her to be with a guy with the same nationality because she wouldn't be happy if I married a Chinese guy. The thing that parents just don't seem to understand is that a nationality does not make a person. Christine's boyfriend is a weirdo (in my opinion) not because he's Italian but because he just is. I don't understand why Christine's parents don't like him because he's not Chinese when there are so many other reasons to dislike him. It's the same thing with my Mum. I told her not to worry because I'm not attracted to Asian guys. It's funny that Christine isn't either, although she is Asian herself. So it's not just me.

Anyway, Mum said that she knows a woman who has a son and she’ll introduce us. At first I told her no because that’s too embarrassing and she doesn’t even know him. He might be a complete creep but my Mum would rather I met up with a stranger (with the same nationality than went out with a guy that I know but with a different nationality (if there was one). But then I thought, why not? Can’t do any harm.

Just as I was actually starting to look forward to meeting the guy, Max decides to message me. Honestly, I’m getting a bit tired of ‘he talks to me, he doesn’t talk to me, he talks to me, he doesn’t talk to me, he talks… etc…’. Make up your mind already! On the other hand, I don’t have to put any effort into keeping contact with him. I talk to him when I want to. My attitude towards it now is: whatever happens, happens. No more of going insane.

Anyway, I might be going to see a musical with my Mum sometime soon since she really wants to spend time with me. Not sure why. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be quite close with my Mum, although sometimes we clash in personalities but we're not exactly like from "Gilmore Girls". I'm not friends with my Mum, like some people are. It’s just I wonder what brought all of this on. I think she started showing signs of this at the time of my operation. So maybe that’s it. Anyway, I guess I shouldn’t complain. When I was younger and had really bad fights with her, all I wanted was for her to be like she is now.

Tomorrow is my exam. Wish me luck!

After that I’m seeing my friends. We’re all going to stay the night at Christine’s parents’ business because it’s near the place that we’re going to beforehand. Who said sleepovers are only for teenagers? Last time we had one was last year, around this time of year. It was the best fun. We stayed up all night, talking about everything.

Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if the five of us shared an apartment. We’d probably drive each other crazy after a while but it would be a lot of fun.

Amelia is probably going to move out soon because she’s been talking about it for quite a while. She wants me to move in with her because she can’t afford anything by herself and she doesn’t want to live with strangers but I’m quite happy where I am at the moment. No one is ever home when I’m here. My brother has the biggest social life (which my parents know almost nothing about and try to get stuff out of me, but what Andrew tells me in private stays private, unlike my parents who would probably tell everyone, which is why neither of us tell them much.).

Last Friday, he went out with 9 girls and was the only guy!!! He didn’t actually know that before he went. Lucky guy! He said he was a bit embarrassed but then realised that it’s unlikely to happen too often and took the advantage of the situation. Good boy.

It got me thinking that in those type of situations (where you’re the only one of your gender in a group), it’s better to be a guy because you wouldn’t feel as left out as a girl in a group of guys, simply because girls are easier to chat with than guys since they talk about a large variety of topics and it would be a lot easier to join in. Whereas guys don’t talk about much (in my experience) which makes it harder to contribute to the conversation. Last time I was at uni in a group of lots of guys, all they talked about was rugby teams and getting really drunk on the weekend. Exciting stuff!

Does anyone have any opinions about this?

No comments: