Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Life is Good

The worst thing I feared about full time employment was the routine.

As kids, we get used to routine when we go to school. We know when we have to get up and when we have to do different tasks. At that age you don't really complain because that's all you know. Then you get to the last years of high school where you're given free periods and a choice of subjects. You quickly get used to the freedom of being able to leave early or have a longer lunch time and not doing the subjects you hate. Then you get to uni and routine gets thrown out the window. Classes usually start late and it's up to you when you leave. No one cares what you do. Casual jobs break up your day even more. Holidays are long. Life is as free as you make it.

Then you get to work, which is like school again. Only it's much harder to get used to things that are worse than what you had before. That's what it felt like when I was doing the graphic design job at the beginning of the year. Every day was the same. I knew exactly what I would be doing the same time in a week, in a month etc. I couldn't accept that's the kind of life I was in for the next 50 years. I tried to get into the film/tv industry because that was pretty far from the routine office work but realised that I wasn't brave enough for that sort of job insecurity.

Then I got this job. Sure I have to wake up the same time each day but how I love what I do! I have no idea what I'll be doing next week. Today got a surprise when the manager told us at 4pm that if he was going home early, he couldn't make us stay and we were all free to go too. Just when I thought that there was no comprimise on the leaving time. Plus, today was the second day in a row when we got free lunch. And let me add how tasty it was!

I didn't even really feel like going home 'cause I was enjoying what I was doing and thought, "It's not like I have anything better to do at home" which in all honesty I cannot remember ever thinking about any other job or even uni.

Tomorrow I have to send the publisher links to the best online games (on the relevant topic). The child in me loves this. On Friday I'll have to be a grown-up and go to a real business meeting with an important person.

Another way you can tell I'm in love with my job is when on Monday I thought, "I'm so glad it's only the beginning of the week and I still have plenty of time to do everything that needs to be done" and at 5pm I thought, "Oh goody, I still have half an hour of work!"

Don't want to get back to my pessimistic thoughts but I hope the wonderful life I lead right now lasts.

My grandma said I was on a lucky streak in my life right now and that it was about time.

Sweet and loving boyfriend + fun and fulfilling job. What else could I want?

No comments: