Friday, February 14, 2003

Confessions of a Bookaholic

Have I ever told you that I'm a book addict? No? Well, I am. Once I start reading, I can't stop. Fortunately I don't buy books, I just borrow them from the library. My local library has had a visit from it's fairy godmother recently because last week when I went to visit it with its usual shelves with only the books that no one wants to read, I realised that there were hundreds of new books and copies of books that were always out and impossible get. Usually I wonder around the same shelves for a few hours in hope that I will see a treasure but usually I just end up borrowing a couple of books that I don't even particularly want to read. But last Friday I didn't even look through the few shelves that the library has because my hands were full of excellent books. I was in heaven. I'm going through them pretty fast and just hope that the next time I'll go to the library the new books will still be there.

Lately, I've been thinking what my favourite book was and I couldn't come up with one. I judge a book by how many times I want to read it again since I very rarely read a book more than once but sometimes I really enjoy book that I can only read once. Here's a list of my favourite books (in any order):

Children's Books
1. Neznaika by Nikolai Nosov (About a fictional world with very memorable characters.)
2. Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
3. Matilda by Roald Dahl
4. The Baby-sitters Club by Ann M. Martin (They are more educational that most people care to admit)
5. Widdershins by Christine Harris (Short stories with very unexpected endings)
6. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (No comment needed)
7. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Teenagers' Books
1. When The Phone Rang by Harry Mazer
2. City Light by Harry Mazer
3. To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
4. Just As Long As We're Together by Judy Blume
5. Here's To You, Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume
6. Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger
7. Looking For Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta (I've re-read this book more times than any other)
8. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (very educational and intriguing)

Adults' Books
1. Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
2. Tully by Paullina Simons
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (The whole book is like listening to a beautiful song)
4. Getting Over It by Anna Maxted (Easy to read but very funny and enjoyable)
5. The Street Lawyer by John Grisham
6. Hotel Sarajevo by Jack Kersh
7. Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet by Shyama Perera

What are your favouite books?