Monday, July 19, 2004

Nadine and Me

Nadine and Me

I love it when I find a blog that can really touch me in some way and that hasn't happened for a while. Until I found "Anna and Me". Anna and Marie remind me so much of how Nadine and I used to be. We used to keep notebooks where we wrote each other letters and then exchanged them. We did this all through primary school, high school (when we could only meet up in the holidays) and a bit through uni. Sometimes that would be the first thing that we would do when we met up – we would exchange notebooks and read each other’s letters. Then we developed a code where we would put special symbols around the bits that we would read after the other one would leave. I would read and reread what Nadine wrote because it made me laugh and just feel special in general. She used to do the same. It was like writing in a diary but with someone reading it and giving feedback. A bit like blogging, I guess.

A while ago I was reading the notebooks that I have (we split them in half, almost in a divorce sort of way) and it made me see how much we changed from the curious and over-sensitive preteens, through dreamy Backstreet Boys obsessed teenage years to the beginning of our adulthood. It’s an amazing record of our friendship and something I will always cherish. It’s weird looking back on all the childish promises we made to be friends forever and not having anything getting between us (like boys, for example, which is funny because that’s exactly what made us drift apart).

I feel like I’m on the verge of too much sentimentality so I’ll stop here. I’ll be seeing her tomorrow (after about 4 months of not talking). You will be able to read the full report here tomorrow.

No comments: