Monday, July 26, 2004

Tutoring Episodes

Tutoring Episodes

Tutoring can be really entertaining sometimes. Especially when I tutor Aidan (the typical fourteen year old with an attitude).

Episode 1

me: This question just looks difficult but it really isn't.
Aidan: Yes it is
me: If you look at it, you'll see that you can do it
Aidan (gives it a glance): I looked at it and it's too difficult.
me: Well, I guess then you'll have to do it with difficulty.
Aidan: Difficulty! Where are you? I can't do it without you.

Episode 2

Aidan sees a map of South America and starts giggling (which is VERY unusual).

Aidan (giggling): You. Are. Gay.
me: what?!
Aidan: it says here.
me: that says Uruguay. It's a country.
Aidan (can't control his giggles, which is clearly embarrassing him): You. Are. Gay.
me: fine, laugh it out. I'll wait.
Aidan: Ok, I'm fine now.
me: let's do question ten.
Aidan (starts giggling again): Sorry, I'll stop.
Aidan (who clearly can't stop): I want to live there. I'm going to draw a smily face in it.
me: You've already drawn smiley faces in every rectangle on this page.
Aidan: I'll make this a special smiley. I'll draw two here. Oh, this country won't fit two smileys.

I had to control the urge to tell him about Uranus and Phuket. I think that would've been too much for the poor kid.

No comments: