Saturday, July 23, 2005

Being Friends With My Boyfriend

Last night David and I have done something we've never done together before. We laughed so hard, I had tears rolling from my eyes. Felt so good to be able to laugh with him as much as I laugh with my friends.

We met up after work and caught the train to his house. Felt kinda strange but so good. We had dinner at his house. Had a more substantial chat with his Mum (than the previous "Hi, how are you?"). His Mum had a friend over and David introduced me as his girlfriend. I don't think I'd introduce him to my parents' friends as "my boyfriend". I'd probably just say, "This is David". His Mum is so sweet and friendly. I hope that behind all her smiles she's not thinking, "I hope he finds someone better soon". I also talked to his sister again. For some reason, I feel like I have to try to impress her the most. I'm sure she's not as protective of her big brother as I am with Andy.

After hanging out in his room where I evened out the (board/card) game score by winning, we drove to my house. He told me how Ria and another friend asked him how we (as a couple) were going. He said we were going well and that we complemented each other. What a nice way of putting it. I never really thought about it that way but it's so true. All our differences seem to balance each other out. The other 'friend' also asked him how our sex life was going to which he told her it was none of her freakin' business. Glad to know he's not into discussing us with people he knows.

When we got here, we sat in the car discussing some deep topics. I told him what I imagined RG to be like. He was interested so I told him the truth. I said that I was telling him as a friend because it can be a sensitive area to talk about as a couple when personal feelings are involved. And it's not like he didn't know that I'm not into people getting drunk and have strong opinions about religion etc. He told me his perfect girl and then he said he's worried that I fit more of his points than he fits mine. I said my list was longer so it was probably the same proportionally.

He also said that I was the first person who was interested in what he was really like (since I asked him about what his bad characteristics were because I wanted to know all of him). When I asked him what he thought was a bad thing about me, he said that I don't wear strong perfume. In my head that meant I smelled bad so I got really embarrassed and moved away. He laughed and said that's not what he meant. He said he was just used to South American women having really strong scents. I told him I had a really sensitive smell so even a little bit of a scent was too strong for me. He said he knew that and didn't mind that much, it was just the only bad thing he could think of.

I think he liked it when I said that I liked him so much, his bad things (or things that were not on my RG list) weren't important.

He asked if it bothered me that I wasn't that experienced in relationships. I said it didn't and that it only bothered me when I didn't have a boyfriend. He said he was worried that any day I would decide that I want to get more experience. Couldn't believe he was still insecure about that. I told him about how 'someone' tried to set me up with a POBian guy but I just couldn't do it because I was happy being with him and didn't want anyone else.

At my house, at about 1:30am when we were having a snack, Andy came back so we all sat around the kitchen table chatting. I'm so happy now that my two favourite guys have talked with each other. Haven't spoken to Andy yet about what he thought 'cause he left for work before I woke up today.

I wonder if I'm romanticising us or if it really is so good. He's not the type of guy I imagined for myself but we fit so well together. I love how we can be just good friends and nothing more, but we can also be a couple. Having that perfect combination makes it seem too perfect.

No comments: