Saturday, July 09, 2005

Taboo Topics

Sometimes when I look over at David (usually in his car, going somewhere) I can't believe he's my boyfriend. When will this feeling wear off?

We had a minor argument. About politics. He said to me, "I try not to talk about it but you always bring it up".

"I just mentioned the London thing and you said they deserved it!!!"

"The innocent people didn't deserve to die but the government had it coming."

"Violence isn't the way to solve problems."

"I'm all for negotiations! But US didn't negotiate with Saddam Hussein"

"Saddam Hussein is insane!"

"So was the Syrian guy. He was a murderer and they negotiated with him!"

"I can't talk to you about this."

"There's one way to solve that"

"What's that?"

"Us not seeing each other anymore"

"No."

"No?"

"I don't like that solution."

So we made up. But I felt weird inside because I realised that there really was no chance for a future for us. His views were too different. He said it was because he was from South America and everyone there shared his perspective.

After that, we managed to have some good conversation. I found out more about his past. And told him about mine. It was so good to talk to him about what I was like and how I managed to go through all my teenage years without a boyfriend. Told him I started to think that I'd never meet anyone. He said he felt like he was the lucky one to meet me because I was so different to others girls he's been with. And watching me play piano was fascinating and the he liked how I did artistic stuff like that. All those painful years of practising piano finally has extra benefits. Then, he said some really sweet things which really made me stuck for words. I said, "You always say such nice things to me" and he replied, "You deserve it".

He, then, surprised me. He told me that when he asked me about what time the bus came that very first time we met, he knew what time it came and that it wasn't his first time catching it. And that he didn't even see my face properly. And that I was the fourth person he talked to at the bus stop. The first two times, were some guys and the third was a girl who turned out to be in one of his subjects. So I told him about my Bus Guy Collection and that I thought he was just another addition.

I wasn't even offended that he lied. I was happy he did because I would still be single if he hadn't. I told as long as he didn't lie about the important things, I didn't care.

Also talked about more personal things. I made it clear I wasn't going to sleep with him because I didn't want to have sex if love wasn't involved. Didn't say that I didn't want to have it until I got married, but love and marriage are pretty much intertwined for me because I'd want to marry the guy I fall in love with.

I was watching closely for his reaction for any signs of how he felt about what I said. He didn't act surprised or taken aback or anything like that. He said that even though he was a guy and people expected him to want to sleep with girls, he couldn't act like that. He couldn't have the physical without the emotional. He said he did that before and didn't feel too good about it and that it wasn't worth it. He said he was perfectly happy just being with me.

Anyway, that was good to sort out so he knew how I felt about that. He's pretty good with stuff like that. He always tells me to tell him to slow down if I feel it's getting too much. It makes it easier to like him when he doesn't pressure me about that stuff.

Damn, if only we could sort out the religion/politics problem, it would be perfect.

No comments: