Thursday, July 14, 2005

Public Display

David came to have lunch with me before going to a job interview. (He wants to quit his current one.) He definitely cheered up my day. We didn't have much time to talk but it was better than nothing. It was so cool to have a boyfriend to meet for lunch. I wanted to scream to everyone that the gorgeous guy next to me was mine. Although I guess that would've been pretty obvious since David has a habit of always holding my hand or having his arm around me. I can't say I'm a fan of PDA (Public Displays of Affection), which he knows but I've stopped caring about little things like holding hands. Plenty of people do that.

This very morning, on the train, my Mum (who was with me) kept pointing out how annoying the couple in front of us was being and all I saw the woman do was lean on the guy's shoulder. Although my Mum did say they kept kissing (since she had a better view of them). The couple was also multi-racial, which of course reminded her of David and I. She asked if David and I acted like that, to which I sarcastically said that of course we did and that the couple was nothing compared to us. That's the only way I can answer questions like that.

After work, I met up with Andy because I promised him I'd go shopping with him. Mum insisted on coming too. I've been wanting to buy knee-length boots for a while now but haven't found a pair that I liked (especially since I keep remembering the perfect ones I found in America last year but didn't get because the last ones they had left weren't in perfect condition). Today, I saw similar ones which looked quite good. But too attention-seeking. I get uncomfortable in any clothes/shoes that stand out too much, no matter how good they look. And even though I remember saying that I want a boyfriend to appreciate how I look in stuff like that, I've kinda changed my mind. I don't know why but it makes me uncomfortable when even if I wear casual clothes, David would look at me like I've put on some tiny dress or something. Even though, of course there's a part of me that likes to feel attractive (who doesn't?), there's a part that just gets all self-conscious. I wonder how I got like that.

me: what do you think of these boots?
Mum: they're sexy
me: o-ok, I'm putting them back
Mum: you should wear sexy clothes
me: Mum! You're not supposed to say things like that!
Mum: why not? Have you seen what some girls wear?
me: yes, but I'm not them. Why don't you wear clothes like that if you like them so much?
Mum: I would, if I was your age

I swear, some things that come out of my Mum's mouth! She can't be like other mothers and tell me to go back and put on a jumper or something.

No comments: