Saturday, June 10, 2006

Life Satisfaction

David watched soccer at my house last night.

When he said he didn't want to watch it by himself, I jokingly said he could come and watch it here. He seriously replied, "I was actually thinking of doing that. Can I come at 11.30?"

I warned him that I wasn't planning on staying awake till 4am watching it. He said he didn't mind. Then he talked to Andy and they agreed to watch it together for a little bit (since Andy had to go to work at 8:30 today).

My parents were surprised that he'd want to come that late just to watch soccer, even though I'd be asleep. My Mum asked, "Doesn't it scare you to imagine living with him for the rest of your life?" I was a little offended she asked me that. Why should it scare me that he wants me to be near, even if I'm not keeping him company?

So at 12am, Andy, David and I were on the couch in front of the TV. I was in my pyjamas, falling asleep. David didn't seem to care. He said he just really missed me. I missed him too but I wouldn't go to his house at 11:30pm if I just wanted to watch something on TV that he wasn't interested in.

I didn't really fall asleep but I did drift off a couple of times.

In the morning, David didn't want to go home and study but I made him. Didn't want him to regret not being ready for exams. I'll see him tonight anyway.

After he left, Veronica called. We talked for a while. That girl is very... unique. She founded a non-profit organisation to help refugees start small businesses. She said they were going to publish a book with refugees' stories and then make a short film or a documentary with all the profits going into funding these small businesses.

When I mentioned that I worked on some films last year, she asked me if I'd be interested in helping out with this film, like a consultant. Of course I said I would. I was about to offer to help out on the book and promotion of the organisation but then realised I might not have that much time. Helping with the film would be great fun so I'd find the time for that. It also sounds like a great project to work on. David would be pleased I'm interested in the 'community'.

She also invited me to some forum that helps you to achieve your dreams and fix problem areas in your life. I said I'd let her know if I'm coming. That's just not my thing. She really tried to force me to come, even promising that I would take something out of it. Not sure. Might consider it.

She said that the forum helped her realise that her current job "wasn't consistent with [her] dream of becoming a millionaire" which was why she was only looking for jobs that would offer her $80 000. Gosh, I'd be happy with just getting to stay at my temp job permanently with my current wage.

My goal is not to become a millionaire. My goal is finding excitement in what I do (career-wise and otherwise) and having my own family, as well as good friends. Having stable finances to support my modest lifestyle and which would allow me to travel once in a while would be great too.

I don't really want anything else. I'm happy to have David want to come to my house at 11:30 just to be close to me. I'm happy to hear my brother have his 'verbal exchange' with David. I'm happy to come to work and be excited about what I'm doing. These things don't seem much, but they are everything when I remember how hard it was for me to achieve them.

No comments: