Friday, February 24, 2006

The Temporary and the Constant

At about 10:23am I went to the toilet. (No, I'm not telling you this because I have absolutely nothing more exciting to write about.) My bowel wasn't having the best time and I had to spend longer than the usual there. (Please, don't squirm yet.)

As I was washing my hands, I noticed that my urticaria started up (as I haven't been taking my medication regularly in the last few days since it was running out). I didn't want to go back into the office with red patches on my face so I decided to wait until they disappeared. Unfortunately they weren't disappearing as fast as I would have liked.

By this time, I was already in the toilet for about 15 minutes. I decided I couldn't spend my whole day there and went back to my desk, thinking that no one would immediately stare at my face long enough to notice any redness.

Staring at the floor, I quickly walked past everyone when I heard, "Surprise!" I looked up to realise everyone was standing in the middle of the room and a cake was sitting on the table. The main guy started saying how greatful he was to have me there and they got a cake for my last day. Then everyone focused on me and spoke at once - "Did you have a good time here?", "You did such a good job!", "What will you be doing next week?" etc. The editor yelled over to the main guy, "So, we'd definitely look her up if we need anyone?" and the main guy said he would.

Then before the editor left to go home, he came up to me and said, "You've really contributed here and you've done great work on the magazines. We really appreciate it. And you've been a very nice person to work with too! If we ever need a graphic designer, we'll call you." I said, "Call as soon as you can!" He laughed but I think that got the message across.

Then the girls were so great. They kept saying how good it was to have me there, with their "Awww....." looks on their faces which made me believe they'd miss me.

There are no words to describe how much I'm going to miss that place. I've never felt more appreciated for all that I can bring to a workplace. Unlike other temp jobs where I did admin work but was still really liked, here I actually got to show my skills and have them approved. It did so much for my confidence in my abilities after losing most of it during the unemployment stage. Which I'm back to next week.

I was supposed to go to David's house tonight but he called to tell me he was really sick. First time in 3 years. As soon as I got home, I got a call from him. We ended up talking all evening.

At one point we got onto the subject on G-strings (in a very practical way). I told him I never bought any because I didn't know if they were comfortable or not. My Mum and I were actually talking about it on the weekend. She never bought any for the same reason. I told him this and he said, "I know my Mum has them" and I said, "Maybe I should ask her". So he actually called her and was about to ask himself! I was horrified that he didn't realise I was joking. How weird would it be for a guy to ask his mother if G-strings were comfortable, for his girlfriend. I stopped him in time.

Yesterday I talked to his Mum on the phone and she started telling me about her operation in detail. She casually threw out words such as 'vagina' and 'bleeding' which shocked me. I realised where David got his open nature from. If his Mum talks so freely about G-strings, sex and personal female problems, it's no wonder David is so communicative. Maybe later I can thank his Mum for making him so open to any discussion.

I talked to his Mum for so long last night, David told her to hurry up and give him a go.

Today I was saying how I need more exercise 'cause I've put on more weight (something I'd never say to him before in case he didn't notice but now I just say anythng that's on my mind. That's how comfortable I am with him.) In response, he said, "I think you're perfect." I told him I liked when he lied like that and he said, "I really think you're perfect". He's the best liar. I actually believe him.

No comments: