Friday, February 03, 2006

Too Many Interviews, Not Enough Jobs

One of my agents (the one whose Mum knows my Mum) managed to get me a temp job as a senior designer. When she told me she was going to send my resume to them, I was like, "Yeah, whatever," because there is no way in the world I thought they'd take me. Then this agent called me up yesterday and said they wanted me to start next week. To say I'm freaking out would be the biggest understatement.

I read the job descriptions several times and I'm really not looking forward to being fired, again. They need someone experienced to just come there and take over for a few weeks.

I mean, surely they read my resume and know I've been out of uni only one year and have barely any relevant experience. My agent better not have exaggerated any of my skills or experience. Oh, who am I kidding, I know she exaggerated my skills. When she asked me if I knew how to use one program and I told her I knew what it was but I've never used it, she said, "Ok, I'll tick that you know it".

It really didn't boost my confidence when in her email she wrote, "I'm sure you'll do brilliantly". Was she trying to convince herself or me? Because I am seriously scared. I tried to do some 'research' but reading about things is not the same as having experience doing them. What am I going to do next week?!

I had an interview today at a very convenient location. I was told they received 140 applications and only picked 14 to interview. Wow, no wonder my old boring resume never got any invitations. It would've never stood out from a hundred others. Don't know if I'll get it. How can I compete with 13 others? What do I have that others don't?

The hours are pretty good - 8am to 4pm. Sure an 8am is a tad early but considering I'm pretty close, it's not such a big deal and it would be cool to finish at 4pm, before the peak hour. The money is good too. The job is purely design so my eyes will be straining and I'll probably get bored but I don't care anymore. It's impossible to find that perfect job, where I can have variety - design, talk with people, organise, and have a good location, good money, good people etc.

Got information about that TV writing job but I can't go to the workshop because I'll be working next week. But hey, they might fire me before Wednesday so not all is lost.

No comments: