Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Wedding Guest

I went to my first ever wedding yesterday! April can tell you how long I've been wanting to go to one. She's already been to a several while I thought I'd have to wait till my own to ever be a part of this ceremony.

I was so excited, I called April and exclaimed, "Guess where I am right now?!" After she didn't guess and I told her, she paused for a second and then said, "Congratulations?"

As she warned me, the actual church ceremony was so boring. The priest went on and on. David crossed himself. I felt so uncomfortable but realised this was going to be one of those things I'd have to put up with. When he asked if I'd get married in a church, I said, "No way!" Glad he brought it up 'cause I wanted him to know that there was no way in hell I would ever do anything associated with religion. He didn't seem to care.

I'm not sure if it was the wedding atmosphere or his usual warm self but he kept looking over at me and smiling and taking my hand and whispering comments to me. To keep myself amused through the priest's never ending speech, I watched the bride. She looked absolutely beautiful. But her face didn't show much emotion. She didn't look over at the groom at all.

There was a small reception. An elderly woman sat next to us. One of the first things she said was, "The wedding was beautiful but it's hard to enjoy it after going through a divorce. Relationships always start off well. Then you get tied down with a mortgage. My husband had his mid-life crisis when he was 50 and there was no point trying to make a marriage work if one person didn't want to. But you can tell this is a love marriage. He's going to adore her. He's such a lovely person. And she's so sweet. It's such a beautiful wedding. But after a divorce you become cynical."

David and I just smiled and nodded. Then she said to David, "You have very beautiful skin". David was so speechless. I tried to telepathically tell him to say thank you because the woman was just staring at him waiting for him to say something. When he didn't reply, she said, "You could at least say thank you".

After we told her what we did, she said to David, "I'd never pick you as an accountant. You don't look boring at all". Then she said in this really bitter tone with a hint of sarcasm, "You have everything, a career, a beautiful POBian girlfriend, what more could you want?" and David said, "A house would be nice." She 'advised' us to never worry about getting a mortgage because it ties you down. I told David we should never take advice from a divorced woman. He agreed with me.

After we listened to some more of her stories, we had to leave to a concert. Which was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. And not only because one man proposed to his girlfriend.

No comments: