Sunday, November 14, 2004

Bridget Causes the "Silliness Syndrome"

I had quite a busy weekend.

Last night started with meeting April (straight after her shift at work) and Claudia. We were supposed to have dinner but we didn't have time to decide on where so we just ate at McDonalds. So my 'don't eat any junk food before the formal' plan didn't even have a chance. After that, we went to get movie tickets for Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Just before we were about to buy them, Christine called Claudia to let us know that she can get us discount tickets when she gets here.

So there was the catch - wait for Christine (the Queen of Coming Late) and risk missing the beginning of the film or get bad seats OR buy the tickets and have the peace of mind. After April obsessively checked her watch ("Ok, 5 more minutes." 5 minutes later... "Ok, 2 more minutes" 2 minutes later... "One minute and that's it! Oh what the hell, I'm just going to buy them now"), April and I decided to get the tickets. Claudia decided to wait for Christine. April and I said that we were going to go into the cinemas and get the best seats. Then we walked to the entrance a bit too hurriedly and handed our tickets to the guy who checked them.

"Sorry, the cinema isn't ready yet. Come back in about 2 minutes," he said. Embarrassed April and I went back to Claudia who laughed at us. And quite rightfully so - we were behaving like fools. It was just a movie, after all, but it was a movie that April and I've been waiting a year for.

Exactly 2 minutes later we went back. I don't know why but we almost ran which was so stupid but we couldn't help it. The guy told us that the cinema was still not ready and he probably thought that we were crazy for thinking that he meant exactly 2 minutes. And we were crazy (but then again, that's our usual state).

April asked if we could go in anyway and wait outside our cinema. He let us. There were exactly 2 seats outside the cinema door so we assumed they were made especially for us. We sat down as if the whole movie was just for us. Some people started coming too and making a line at the door. We quickly got up and stood next to the line, right at the front. We were there first so we deserved our choice of seats. We prepared a nice plan in case worst came to worst. We were going to stand in front of the door with our arms blocking it and April (since she was wearing her work clothes and looked like she worked there) was going to tell everyone that the movie was going to be at the other cinema and that this was a private screening. The way it should've been.
While we were laughing hysterically at the image of us trying to prevent everyone from coming in, Christine and Claudia came and the doors were opened and everyone started to go in. April actually made some sort of squel that sounded like "Ah!" and quickly pushed in front of the others so we could walk in first. We were the second into the cinema and got our choice of seats. Christine and Claudia were rolling their eyes at our insanity.

As soon as we sat down, the memory of my last cinema visit (with Andrew) came to me and it wouldn't leave my mind. The only images I could see were the ones in my head of us talking before the movie. The same memory film (of our date) that had played in my mind many times started playing again. I tried to distract myself by talking with April but all I could focus was his smile and the words he said. It's like one mystery I will never solve. I will never find any clues in my memory of what happened and figure out some answer as to what went so wrong when we had such a good time.

All I could remember were all the hints that told me that I was going to surely see him again (him double checking he gave me the right number when I asked him, him saying that he'll tell me something the next time he sees me, him asking me if I liked the food, him telling me so much about his family, him teasing me, him laughing etc.)

He SO does not deserve so much of my memory space (something I only have a limited amount of). I guess I should look on the bright side - I saved $22 (since he paid for dinner). I will spend those $22 for all they're worth.

When the movie started, its wonderfullness blocked my memories and I got totally involved in Bridget Jones's life. April and I laughed more than others because there were so many little things that we could relate to (eg. putting the word 'boyfriend' into every sentence - something that we would so do). Claudia, later, told me that she didn't get why April was laughing so much (since she laughed louder than me and was sitting closer to her). Some bits were so hilarious that my stomach hurt from laughing.

The ending was very sweet (as expected) but I mentioned to April that the sad thing about it is that after we get to 34, we are not going to be able to relate to Bridget anymore.

After the movie, we went to Christine's place and played Pictionary. April and I were once again playing against Christine and Claudia. And once again, we lost. No one can compete with Claudia's genius guessing abilities. Christine would just draw one line and Claudia would know what it was straight away. Meanwhile April would forcefully and frustrated circle what she drew over and over again as I would unsuccesfully try and guess what her blob meant. It was fun nonetheless.

Yesterday was probably the last time I would see April before I leave. I don't know how I'm going to cope without talking to her almost every day. For the last year, especially, we've been each other's free counsellors and it'll be weird not to tell her (almost) every detail of my life for a month.

Today, I met up with Claudia and we went to some town festival. We hung around there for a while before Claudia's new friend, Mike, came. He's the most insecure guy I've met. It was hard to believe he was our age (not only because he looked 14 but because he was so unsure of himself). He wanted to eat but couldn't decide what. Every time we'd stop in front of some place and ask him if he wanted to eat there, he'd say "I don't know". And we did?

I told him that he'd have to decide himself because we didn't know what he wanted. After about 30 minutes, he managed to pick a place. He'd also fakely laugh at every comment I'd make. I get that he was just trying to be friendly but it makes me feel like he thinks I'm being funny when I'm not. Something that happens quite often with people who just meet me. It's part of my personality to make comments about things and people who don't know me think I'm trying to be funny. April thinks that it's hilarious that people think I make sad jokes when I'm being serious/friendly. I think I should just stop commenting (although that's what usually makes me make friends with people).

Christine was supposed to come and meet us but she called when we were already leaving. Claudia and Mike went to meet her and Evan but I decided to go home because I was supposed to call back my 'boss' about the 'work' since he called me last night and this morning just before I was leaving. He decided (or more like his girlfriend) that my original logo was more suitable so now I have to make a combination of my original logos. Will do that tomorrow.

I also found out that I had a missed call from my brother's girlfriend. This isn't the first time she called me. She also called last week to remind me to tape a show for my brother. I really don't want to talk to her. I'll tell Andy to call me himself if he needs something.

There are still so many things to do next week before I leave. My main goal is to see Amelia before I go. I'm starting to miss her because I haven't seen her in SOOOO long.

It's going to be so weird with only Claud still being at uni next year. No more meeting up for lunch. April might stay on at uni and do a post-grad course but it won't be at the same one as Claudia. All of our lives are going to be changing so much next year.

No comments: