Saturday, November 13, 2004

Why Guys Act Like Idiots, Big Sister Duties and the Irony of Confession

I get some interesting search queries that show my blog in the results. The latest one was "why do guys act like idiots". I can't believe that someone actually was looking for an answer to that. They are not going to find any such wisdom in my blog.

As my brother would explain anyone acting the way they do - "They can't help it, it's the way they are". Which I guess is the reason why he is so tolerant to everyone.

I don't know if I can really agree with that because I feel like people can change their behaviour. I guess they can't change their basic fundamental personality but people do have some will power over their actions.

As for why guys (or anyone for that matter) act like idiots, I'd love to know too. Must be a combination of genes and environment, like most (or even all) personality traits are.

Now, to the topic of my brother and his girlfriend. Yesterday, for the first time, he actually organised a real plan for their date (not just meeting up for no reason) and she cancelled at the last minute which made him quite upset since he put a lot of effort into it. So I had to try to be the understanding big sister without saying "I never liked her anyway".

We had a nice chat about everything which made me realise that the reason I'm so against his girlfriend is because I never get to see or talk to him anymore since he's always with her.

He said that he really hates it when I say that I don't like his friends/girlfriend because he starts to doubt them too since he's so influenced by my opinions so I told him that I won't say it anymore. All the complaints will be saved for this blog. (As they always are anyway.)

Yesterday was also quite an interesting day for me because I crashed the car for the first time since I got my licence. I crashed it twice when I was trying to get out of the wrong exit of a parking lot. I'm sure all the cars waiting for me had an amusing show of me trying to turn the car at an impossible angle and bumping into the front sidewalk and then the back one.

When I got home, I quickly decided to assess the damage and consider all the pros and cons of telling my parents. There was a significant dent at the front and some plastic came off at the back so I decided to confess because it would've been worse if my parents found out themselves.

So I showed my Mum and she took it better than I expected. She said, "These dents were already here. Your Dad did those". I wasn't expecting that response, although the dents did look too high up for what I hit. We looked for any other evidence of what I did and we couldn't find anything.

So I could've gotten away without telling. I could've saved that sort of confession for a next time when there would be actual visible proof so I wouldn't get another lecture how I should be more careful.

Oh well, that's life.

No comments: